Chapter 3

Chapter 3

James POV

     The girl slumped back onto the bed; she had fainted. My mind was spinning and I tried to comprehend what she had said. She had obviously known my name, but why did she call Remus "Teddy"? Moreover, she seemed scared and shocked when she had learned his name was Remus.

     I looked down at the girl whom I had first thought was Lily Evans. If she hadn't been refusing my request for a date yet again when the mysterious girl had appeared I still would've thought that. The only differences between the girl and my Lily were that the girl's eyes were a deep chocolate brown instead of a piercing and beautiful green. Now that I looked, her nose was a bit smaller as well.

     Come on Prongs! I berated myself. What guy notices the nose shape of girls? I gave a small, inward groan. 

     My fingers stroked her soft hand as I contemplated the questions that still surrounded the girl. Even though I had no idea who she was I still felt connected to her in an odd way. Not love, I still felt that for my Lily-flower. No, something else. More like she was a long-lost relative...

     "Leave her alone to sleep!" Madam Pomfery hissed. "She needs rest and she's not going to get it with any of you around." She chivvied us out of the hospital wing and Remus and I walked to the kitchens in silence. That was where we were going to meet up with Sirius. We also had missed lunch waiting for the girl to wake up. Sirius had detention with McGonagall and Peter had to finish his Herbology essay, so they hadn't waited with us.

     I tickled the pear in the painting leading to the kitchens and it swung open on well-oiled hinges.

     "Good afternoon Master James and Master Remus!" squeaked Biddy, one of the many house-elves who were in the kitchens at this time of day. "What can Biddy get you sirs?"

     "Just some porkchops, thanks Biddy." I said, suddenly feeling very tired. We sat down at the small wooden table set up in the kitchens, silent until Pearl, another house-elf who worked in the kitchens regularly, came over.

     "Would Masters James and Remus like Pearl to get them something to drink?" she asked, looking pleased to be doing her job. "Perhaps some Pumpkin Juice or some water?" 

     "Pumpkin Juice, Pearl. Thanks." I said, giving a small yawn.

     "I'll just have some milk, thank you Pearl." Remus said, always the gentleman.

     Pearl nodded happily and ran away to retrieve the drinks just as Biddy was bringing in two plates of delicious looking porkchops. "Here you go Masters." He said, bowing as he placed the plates on the table.

     "Thanks Biddy." We both said, grabbing a fork and knife and diving in. Pearl brought our drinks, then we were left alone to finish our meal. Remus broke the silence first.

     "Who do you reckon she is?" he asked. "She looks exactly like Lily. Except for the eyes."

     "Yeah." I agreed, nodding. "You think maybe she has a twin sister?" I was half-joking, half-serious.

     "No I don't Prongs." Remus said, rolling his eyes in exasperation. "We would've heard about her before now. Besides, Lily was in the hall with us when we "found" her. She looked just as surprised as we did. As far as I know she just has a Muggle sister named Petunia."

     We ate for a few more minutes, lost in thought before Sirius strode in looking cheerful.

     "So mates, how's that little look-alike Lily Evans doing? McGonagall said that you two were down here, so why'd you leave?"