Chapter 29

Chapter 29

After Rome left his room, Ly moved off into the kitchen to confront her father. Clayton was searching through the fridge when the vampire walked in and gave him an appraising look. “Alex tells me that Rowen was the one who bled all over the living room and that it had nothing to do with you,” the older man said stiffly, as if he suspected Ly had attacked someone in the next room.

Ly shrugged, he knew nothing about what had happened before Rome had come to him, and he didn't care in the slightest. “Rome says you can help me,” he said, sounding his usual bored self. “Was she right?”

Clayton's eyes narrowed. Rome had told him this was coming but he was still unsure as to weather he should help Ly or not. It was obvious the vampire was after revenge. “Maybe,” he said slowly. “Depends on what you need.”

“Names,” Ly replied. He tried to look relaxed, unconcerned, but it was harder than usual for him. Standing in the same room as a man who had once been part of a hunters club, a man who had once killed Ly's kind because of some warped idea that killing vampires would keep people safe. It didn't help that he could feel Rome's heart beating not so far away.

“What names?” Clayton faced Ly fully now, knowing that whoever the young vampire was looking for would die hours after he learned their name. He didn't know if he would be able to live with that. It was hard enough living with the guilt of what he had done before.

“I really only need one,” Ly answered. “The name of the president of the hunters club Matthew Scott belonged to. I need to know who he is and where I can find him. Can you do that, or is it beyond you?”

Clayton kept his face blank and ignored the insult Ly had just paid him. No amount of bating would make him do something he didn't think was right. However, now that he knew it was hunters the vampire was after he was feeling less reluctant. “What's the club called?”

Ly frowned. He knew hunters clubs had different names, but he had never thought to find out what the club Matthew Scott belonged to was called. “I don't know,” he said slowly, angry at himself for overlooking such an important piece of information.

“Well that makes it harder,” Clayton said, taking a seat at the kitchen table. “I might be able to find what you need, I probably have contacts who can give the information. When we sent Alex into the city, he picked up a list of people, spies really, inside all the different clubs. It wasn't easy to get, but the vampire I'm in contact with has been gathering informations on hunters for years. I can see two problems though. One, without the club name I have no idea where to start looking and two, Rome told me not to help you, not yet at least.”

Ly's face darkened, not only from anger, but from frustration and embarrassment. He was so close to finding out who had ordered Scott's death, finding the man who tried to frame him for the murder, and the only things that stood in his way were a stupid name and a young human girl.

He could feel Rome close by, in fact, she was hiding just outside the kitchen, listening to their conversation. The beating of her heart quickened when she heard her fathers last sentence. If she thought Ly didn't know she was there she was a lot dumber than he believed.

As if his thoughts had summoned her, Rome stepped into the kitchen. Her face was set with a determined look, but Ly could tell she was nervous, and also angry. The anger he could understand. They had been linked together, against her will, she must blame him for that. Involuntarily Ly's eyes flicked to her neck, it was only then that he noticed she was wearing a high necked jumper to hide his fang marks.

“I know the name of the club Mr Scott belonged to,” the young woman said, looking Ly straight in the eyes. “Melissa told me a the names of a few clubs, but she said there was one which was the best at what they did. I asked her how she knew, but she wouldn't tell me anything else.” Rome paused and took a deep breath, as if gathering the courage to speak her next sentence. Ly felt the anger inside her rise. “I'm not going to tell you the name until your shoulder is healed.”