Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I'm finally here on time, Rome thought as she stopped outside the Latin lecture hall. This was the first time she had been able to make it from her philosophy lecture without turning up late. It seemed as if she was finally getting the hang of her timetable.

Not that she had been able to finish her readings for this subject. She had spent most of the last two days researching for her ancient history essay and making sure her notes were up to date. This time she was going to be ready for her next lesson with Ly, though there were a few things that she found confusing about the essay and she had been unable to find her tutor to ask him about them.

As if her thoughts had somehow summoned him, Ly walked out of the lecture hall right in front of her. He looked like his usual bored self, though Rome was glad to see he wasn't smoking. Realising now might be her only chance to see him before their next lesson Rome called out.

“Excuse me, Ly, I wanted to ask you about...” he didn't even look at her, only pulled a face and marched past. His expression said “Talk to me again and you will wish you had never been born.”

Deciding that he was in a bad mood, Rome thought that she should just leave him alone. It was disappointing, but she was beginning to believe that she should tell Paul things weren't working out with Ly. Maybe he lecturer would be nice enough to find her another tutor.

The Latin lecture flew past and, during her hour break, Rome found herself in the history department.

“Rome, how are things going?” Paul asked, when he spotted the young woman walking towards him down a hallway.

“Not too bad,” was the answer. “I actually wanted to talk to you about something.”

“Well I'm a little busy at the moment, but if you walk with me we might be able to sort it out now.”

“Um well...” Rome didn't really know were to begin. She didn't want to tell the lecturer that she didn't like her tutor. “I'm having a bit of trouble with the essay.”

“The essay?” Paul said, looking surprised. “You mean the short assessment I just set or the essay due at the end of this semester.”

“The end of semester one,” Rome answered.

“You've already started!” Paul still looked surprised, but also pleased. “Most people aren't even thinking about the essay yet. Ly must really be a good influence on you.”

“Actually that's one of the things I...” Rome began.

“I'm sorry Rome, but this is where I must leave you,” Paul said, as they reached his tutorial room. There was already a class waiting for him. “I suggest you ask Ly if you have any questions about the essay. He can probably answer them. If he can't then come and see me after our next lecture and I'll help you. I must say I'm glad you are putting in so much effort. Keep it up, I'm looking forward to reading your next assessment.”

With that he disappeared into the tutorial room and closed the door.

Great, Rome thought with a sigh. Now he thinks Ly's the best thing that ever happened to me. Maybe I should give this another shot. The next lesson might not be so bad and I am trying harder.

Shaking her head she walked off down the hall.

* * *

Ly sat in his literature tutorial, listening with only half an ear to one of his fellow students rattle on and on about something incredibly boring. It was twenty to six and he almost couldn't believe he had to sit through another twenty minutes of this useless lesson.