Chapter 7

Chapter 7 

“Lyconides! Where in the world have you been?” Tristan said, coming down the wide staircase as Ly walked through the front door. Cassian followed his friend, a pile of paperwork in his arms. “You were meant to be back hours ago. Do you have any idea how much trouble I went to trying to find you?”

“I didn't ask you to come out and look for me did I,” Ly retorted, shoving his hands deep into his pockets and marching past the other vampires. “I don't see how it's my fault you insist on treating me like I'm made of glass.”

“You know the reason I...” Tristan trailed off, glancing quickly at Cassian before continuing. “I just like to know that you are safe. With support for Marcus Taylor growing, the streets are no longer as safe as they once were for us and when Damon returned without you...”

“Save the lecture for someone who cares,” Ly said dully, he had no energy left to argue with his brother. It was almost five am and Ly wanted to get to bed before the sun came up. His fight with Rome had left him feeling rather weak, and it confused him that this annoying young woman could have such an affect on him.

“Could you leave us for a moment Cassian,” Tristan said. His friend bowed and shuffled off, taking one backwards glance at Ly before he left the room. “You look terrible,” the older brother continued, walking beside Ly as he climbed the stairs. “What have you been doing that has made you so tired?'”

The younger vampire sighed, knowing he was never going to get out of this conversation if he didn't give Tristan something. “I saw Nicator today,” he said shortly as he continued towards his room.

Tristan grabbed his arm and held it tight, forcing him to stop. His usual good-natured expression was gone now and his eyes were narrowed in anger and suspicion. Nicator had always been a sensitive subject for him. “You saw him. What was he doing? What did you do?”

“Nothing and nothing” Ly replied with a sigh. “There wasn't anything I could do, there were humans around. And even if we had been alone I don't think I could have...I couldn't have captured him, not..there, not after...”

Tristan gave his brother a knowing look as he released his arm. “Well, I will just have to send some others out to find him and bring him in,” he said, studying his brothers face and trying to gage his emotions. “Though I do find it strange that he should turn up here, considering the last time we had word of him he was so far to the east. Odd that he should come here now, knowing his situation.”

“If you've finished interrogating me, can I go now?” Ly said impatiently, though his heart really wasn't in it, making his question sound more like a plead. He didn't want to talk about Nicator with Tristan, truthfully he never wanted to even think about Nicator again. “I've had a shit day and I would really just like it to be over.”

Tristan smiled, but Ly could tell he was still worried. “Of course,” he said. “Get to bed little brother, we wouldn't want you all cranky for school, though I find it hard to believe any amount of sleep could cure your foul mood.”

Ly just scowled and continued along the corridor that lead to his room, hoping that his next encounter with the red haired girl wouldn't take so much out of him.

* * *

Rome didn't want to see him, she didn't want to think about what would happen when she did and she was afraid that he would still be mad at her. The look on Ly's face after he had snapped at her was puzzling though. After the anger cleared he had looked like he was in pain.

She hadn't thought about it much at the time, but she definitely saw, now that she looked back, guilt and disgust underneath his anger. When he had yelled at her he hadn't really sounded sincere, not when he had talked about hating everyone. But she got the feeling he really did hate himself and she wondered why.