Chapter 17

Chapter 17

“In response to the rapid increase of vampire attacks on human citizens, the government has considered hiring vampire hunters to control the situation,” the news reader said, in her 'this is really serious' tone of voice. “Leaders of the vampire community have expressed their displeasure with this idea, saying that bringing in hunters will only push the relationship between the two races in a negative direction.”

Rome couldn't help the but gasp when she heard the news. She remembered her father talking about when he had been part of a vampire hunter club, his stories about his time with them had led her to believe there was no good that could come form them being involved. She had been especially disgusted when her father told her what the hunters took as a trophy.

Apparently it was an ancient tradition of vampire hunters that, after their target was killed, they would take the vampires two top canine teeth as proof that they had succeeded in their mission. Rome had just thought it sounded like needles mutilation.

“You all right?” Ly asked after hearing Rome gasp. He sounded as if he really didn't care if she was all right or not, he just looked bored and lit a cigarette.

The young woman didn't want to bring up the vampire issue again, remembering what had happened last time she raised the subject with him, so she just nodded and kept her mouth shut. They spent the rest of the trip in a semi-comfortable silence.

Ly parked his car outside the reception hall where the formal was being held and tossed his half smoked cigarette out of the window. He had been drinking heavily before he left the house and was now in a state of comfortable numbness, having put Tristan out of his mind.

Rome sat in the passengers seat, but made no move to get out of the car. She was looking extremely nervous, clutching at her little black bag as if it would save her from anything bad that was going to happen. 

“You're not having second thoughts are you?” Ly asked, sounding bored as he rummaged around for a fresh packet of cigarettes and his emergency supply of chocolate. “Remember, I'm only here because of you.”

“No, it's not that,” Rome said, looking out at the old fashioned building and biting her bottom lip. “I have this feeling that something is going to go wrong. Like something isn't right. I...I don't know.”

It was something she couldn't explain, just this knowledge that something was going to go wrong.

The young vampire just shook his head. “Come on,” he said, opening his door and stepping out of the car. “The sooner we get this over with the better. I can't believe I'm even here. How anyone could want to spend the entire night in conversation with utter morons escapes me.”

Despite his complaints, Rome smiled slightly and got out of the car. “You know if you really don't want to do this, we don't have to,” she said, knowing that if she gave him even the slightest chance he would run for it. “But I'm really glad you decided to come.”

Ly growled in frustration as he shoved his hands into his pockets. He knew she wasn't trying to force him into anything, she really did mean what she said. If he told her he wanted to leave, she wouldn't have objected, but he couldn't do that to her, as much as he didn't want to be there.

“Come on,” he hissed through gritted teeth as he crossed the road. “Let's just get this over with.”

The moment they stepped inside they were ushered up a flight of stairs to a large reception hall. Ly could hear Rome's heart beating rapidly, even over the soft music and sound of hundreds of voices inside, and wished he had more alcohol in his system. He pushed the door open and they stepped inside.