Chapter Twenty Two

~COPYRIGHT 2014~

*Two weeks later*

“Do you have to go?” Sawyer asked Jacyn, his bottom lip trembling.

“Unfortunately, buddy. But I’ll be back, I promise,” she told him.

He launched himself onto her legs and squeezed her tight. He cried against her, not wanting to let go. Jacyn gently pat him on the back, trying to reassure him that everything was going to be alright. She wasn’t going to be gone for good.

When nearly five minutes passed, she looked up at Scott, motioning for him to help. He walked over with a chuckle, grabbing Sawyer and lifting him off of her legs. He was kicking and screaming, yelling at his father to stop. He was quick to put the shrieking child in Liz’s awaiting arms. She was going to be watching the boy while Scott drove Jacyn to the airport.

“Come on, let’s get going before he breaks free,” Scott laughed, running to the truck.

Jacyn raced after him, jumping into the car and clicking on her seatbelt as Scott peeled out of the driveway. She looked in the rearview mirror to see Sawyer standing in the middle of the driveway with a pout on his face. She felt tears well up in her eyes. She loved that little boy like he was her own.

“I’m gonna miss him,” she told Scott.

“More than you’ll miss me?” he grinned, peeking over at her.

She laughed and grabbed his hand, putting their interlocked fingers over the middle console.

“Maybe I’ll miss you just a tad bit more,” she giggled.

“Just a tad bit?” he questioned, kissing her knuckles.

“I don’t know. You’ve grown on me in the past year or so.”

“I grew on you a longer time ago than a year,” he laughed, poking fun at the childhood crush she had on him.

“Don’t make fun of me! Look where that crush on you got me,” she challenged, raising her eyebrows.

“Alright, I got to admit that’s true.”

“See? Jacyn Harris is always right.”

He raised his eyebrows back at her. “Don’t even go there.”

“But you know it’s true,” she exclaimed, shaking her face at him.

He said nothing else, just holding her hand, as they made their way to the airport. When they got there, Jacyn felt like crying. This officially meant that she would be heading back home and she wouldn’t know when she would see him again. She was so used to being with him now that it was going to be difficult to be away.