Chapter Thirteen

Yet another short chapter but I didn't want to get into the details quite yet.

Picture of Scott Hillstrand holding King Crab

~COPYRIGHT 2014~

Jacyn woke up before anybody on the crew was told to get up. She made her way up to the wheelhouse, which was empty. Not even her brother was up yet.

Taking a seat in the captain's chair, she looked out the window at the Harbor. It was still filled with boats and today that would quickly change as king crab season was beginning.

"Hey, what're you doing up? You don't have to be up for an hour," Josh's voice came from behind her.

She spun around in the chair to face him with a smile on her face. "I'm happy to be back. I missed it for those eight months I was home. I don't miss the pain, but everything else, I did," she told him.

"Well we're glad to have you back," he replied, hugging her.

"I'm going to go make coffee and breakfast for the guys. Do you want me to bring up some for you?"

"I'll come down there and eat with you guys before we get to work."

She nodded and headed back down into the cabin to start breakfast. An hour later, she had a full meal set out on the table and she was heading to each bunk room to wake up the guys. They stumbled out of their bunk rooms, rubbing their eyes and began to fill their plates with food.

"Thanks, Jacyn. I knew we had you here for a reason," Jake teased.

She put her hands on her hips and glared at him. He just chuckled.

"You know I'm messing with you. You're a valuable part of the crew," he said. "Plus Travis is usually the cook."

"Yeah, yeah, just shut up and eat. We have a quota to catch and we have another boat to beat. If we don't win, I won't hear the end of it from the Hillstrand's," she responded.

"Oh, don't worry; we're going to make sure that we beat them. I want to see Scott over here playing bait boy," Josh said as he entered the room. "That way I have something to use against him."

"Don't you already have something to use against him?" Zack smirked.

Jacyn whacked him in the back of the head and he instantly shut up, shoveling a spoonful of eggs into his mouth.

"Hate to say it Jacyn, but you had to see that one coming. You're never going to live down sleeping with Scott," Cody laughed.

"If you say another word about it, you're not going to be able to go on the trip so I suggest you shut your mouth," she warned.

He gulped and went back to eating his food.

About thirty minutes later, Jacyn was cleaning up the kitchen while the guys went out to begin prepping the boat for the season to come. All the pots had to be transferred onto the boat. It was a lot of work.

After she was finished, she rushed into getting her gear on and joined the guys out on the deck. They worked for hours, getting all of the pots loaded on the boat and then they were headed out.

"Alright guys, we've got a competition to win, so let's do it," Josh's voice came over the loud speaker.

Everybody cheered as they continued to prep the deck. There was still a lot of work to do before they began setting the pots.

-----------------------------------------

Scott stood on the deck working the crane, thinking about the competition he had agreed to with the Cornelia Marie. He was feeling perfectly safe with agreeing to it. In opilio season, Casey and Josh had sucked at finding the crab and they had barely come back with any money. There was no doubt that the Time Bandit was going to bring home the gold in this season. His father was a seasoned fisherman and Josh was only here for his second season. That said something right there.

"You look like an idiot with that smile on your face," Axel's voice interrupted his thoughts.

"You always look like an idiot," he came back with.

"Nice comeback. What are you, five?" he chuckled. "What're you smiling at anyways?"

"I'm just thinking about how we're going to crush this competition with the Cornelia Marie."

"Eh, I wouldn't too cocky. You and I both know that Jacyn doesn't give up. There is no way that she is willingly going to go out to dinner with you after everything that's gone down between you two."

"Oh, she'll go out to dinner with me alright. Cause there is no way that I am willingly going to be bait boy. Those years are long gone."

"I guess we'll have to wait and see. Anyways, speaking of your previous relationship with Jacyn, how're you feeling about her?"

"Same as I did eight months ago. I mean, I went out with a couple of women when I was home, but I'm not dating anyone," he told him. "How are you and that girl doing?"

"Everything's going pretty well. She's a great girl. Maybe I'll bring her out to meet the family sometime," he said.

"Yeah, you definitely should. You can't just get serious with someone and not introduce them to your family. Especially with a family as close as ours."

"I appreciate that you two are having a heart to heart, but it's time to get back to work," Eddie Sr. butt into their conversation.

Yes, that's right. Eddie Sr. and Eddie Jr. were finally back. They had successfully recovered from their injuries and were ready to work again. It was good to have two extra people on deck helping especially cause they were a bit short last season. Ian Wood was no longer with them, as he only worked on the boat in the opilio season. He was replaced by William Aaron, whom the guys called "Billy The Kid". That was also another reason that Scott was so confident about winning the competition. They had a larger, more experienced crew than the Cornelia Marie.

"And we're out!" Johnathan exclaimed on the loud speaker.

Everybody cheered as the boat began to move out of the Harbor and out into the Bering Sea. Now the real competition begins. And it wasn't the one going on between the two boats in the fleet. It was the competition between the boat and the Bering Sea itself. Anything was game now. Let's just hope that nobody gets hurt this time.

~COPYRIGHT 2014~