Inside Your Heaven - Chapter 23

Chapter 23

A Soldier for Her Broken Heart

            The next morning, Tracy and Warren were alone in their table at the cafeteria, waiting for Gwen and Angel to come for breakfast.

            “So I heard of the drama yesterday,” Warren began, frowning slightly. “I heard you went head-to-head with Amanda.”

            “Well, she wouldn’t accept the order of suspension from father,” Tracy replied with a sigh. “I planned on doing it nicely, but she didn’t want to go without a fight.”

            It was now Warren’s turn to sigh.

            “You’re still doing the Head of Discipline a. k. a. your father’s bidding? C’mon,” Warren scoffed. “You are a kickass lawyer-to-be, and yet look at what you’re doing; you’re dancing on your father’s palms!”

            “Well, he got me the scholarship,” Tracy countered. “I’m good as long as I’m on his good graces.”

            “Well why don’t you work your ass off like I do?” Warren offered. “I did my own way up, and it works for me, so why not for you?”

            Tracy wondered about it, but she didn’t have much time, for Gwen just arrived with Angel.

            “Good morning lovebirds,” Gwen greeted with a smile.

            “Y’know I hate that label,” Warren complained.

            “Well, you are who you are with Trace, so sue me,” Gwen countered, and Warren just surrendered with a chuckle and a shake of his head.

            “Well, I don’t like being called a lovebird either, so it’s two to one,” Angel said, grinning.

            “Well, speak for yourself, miss I-got-an-official-date-with-Dawson,” Gwen countered, grinning wider.

            “What did you say?” Tracy interjected.

            “Well, she got dragged off last night and came back with a scheduled date with Dawson,” Gwen said conspiratorially.

            “Gwen!” Angel chastised. “You’re not supposed to tell yet!”

            “What?” Tracy said, now sitting closer to Angel. “Don’t worry about it… you’re in good hands,” Tract gave Angel a knowing look. Warren just chuckled knowingly.

            “Oh, no… nuh uh!” Angel was shaking her head. “I don’t want to be talked into another makeover!”

            “Please?” Tracy said sweetly, complete with puppy dog eyes.

            “Aw, that’s not fair!” Angel whined.

            Tracy was about to plead some more, but a paper airplane interrupted the both of them. Angel took it and unfolded it. There were two words written on it:

Cafeteria door

            Angel looked up, and there, leaning casually on the doorframe, was Dawson wearing a pair of khaki shorts, a snugly fit blue V-neck, and the brightest smile. He lifted his hand and motioned for her to come.