Epilogue

Jessica

If you think it, you can achieve it, that's what I always say. The mind is the pathway to your life and the only way to live the way you dreamed of is to take that path in your mind that leads you to everything you ever wanted. But sometimes the problem lies in the fact that you have to think it in the first place. It's hard to think up a future where you know you're going to feel good when in the moment all you feel is pain, seems a bit impossible. But the mind is the most powerful thing we call our own, I know we can do it.

After Corey and I got married we welcomed our first kid into the world, a beautiful little girl named Paisley who looked just like her father. Not too long after her we had twins, a boy and a girl named Madyson and Freddie. Freddie was the lone boy of our clan but he was the strongest for sure, takes after his father with a mind like that. And Madison was the baby even though her brother was born just a few minutes before herself, she loved being the youngest. Wore it proud.

As for Corey and I, we've been happily married for ten years now. He retired about five years ago and we moved to a quieter place in Illinois, but someplace where we can still get to the city after about a thirty minute drive. I still work as a life coach with the organization and with people in the city and the kids are usuals at the United Center.

We were able to create a life that we wanted because we believed we could. And it wasn't awash easy, Corey cried for hours when he found out we were having a kid because he was so excited and scared at the same time. But we always figured it out together, two brains are usual better than one anyway.

Tonight we were celebrating our ten year anniversary but not like most couples do. Our kids were still young and we didn't like leaving them so they came with us. We all go to Chicago to a Blackhawks game where Corey was being honored. His number was going to hang in the raptors with the greats thanks to his dedication and hard work.

"You know, we would never be here if it wasn't for you" he claims as I make sure he looks good. We were about to go to the ice where he would drop the puck and watch his banner raise.

"I wasn't out on that ice winning championships and vezinas and stuff like that" I remind him.

"You were the only reason I could" he accuses and I smile.

"Keep talking like that and you're getting a fourth child" I tease as he laughs.

"I wouldn't mind" he claims.

"I'm 43, this baby making factory is closed down" I assure him.

"Too bad. We make some incredible kids" he admits as he watches them play mini sticks in the wings.

"They're pretty amazing" I agree.

Eventually it comes time and the ceremony starts. Corey wraps his arm around me as we walk out to the ice. He had Mady in his free arm and I had Freddie in mine as Paisley led us out there.

The ceremony was beautiful, they made him a video montage, set to Don't Stop Me Now by Queen because what else would it be? I smile as all the memories come back and hit me like a truck. We had some amazing times, they even added some pictures of us and the kids in there. The tribute was sweet and kind and my heart was so full.

We help Corey as we send the banner to the raptors. The likeness of Toews and Kane and Hossa already up there and now he joins his friends. I pull him into a kiss and I feel him smile.

"I'm so proud of you baby" I assure him as he smiles down at me.

"Happy anniversary" he says and I look at him weird. Odd timing but sure.

"Mommy look" Freddie begs as he pulls on my dress.

I look up at the video board and see a collage of pictures of me and Corey. I smile big when the "happy anniversary" sign pops up. Corey appears on the big screen and I could feel my heart beating so hard.

"Hey babe. I know tonight was supposed to be our big night but like so many times before hockey popped up. But hockey was never put before you in my book, you're the most important thing in my life and I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for you.

You taught me love wasn't just in the heart but on the brain too. Even with so much in question and me being so low you never stoped trying to raise me up. You never stopped loving me no matter what I was going through and I am so blessed to have someone like you around to remind me that I am something more than I ever thought I could be.

I just wanted to say thank you for ten beautiful years of marriage, of love and life, of trial and error, and of beautiful beautiful moments that will last forever. I love you so much Jess" he smiles as the video ends.

I wipe a tear away as I turn to him. He pulls me into a sweet hug and I feel little arms wrap around my legs.

"I love you so much" I whisper in his ear.

"I love you most" he promises.

Life can take you on some pretty unexpected journeys. The best things in life are the ones you never expected to happen to you, like how I was with Corey. I never saw myself as a hockey players wife or falling in love with someone who was a victim to the mind like my dad. But Corey and I, well were something like they make up in the movies where we work out and no one can explain it, we just do.

Once we put our heads together we pretty well figured out this life thing. We're both still learning every day about this life we share, about what it's like to go up and down our mountains before we can ever reach the top. But no matter what happens there is one thing is for certain, I will always have love on the brain.