54| Home

Jessica

A year ago today I embarked on a journey that I never imagined would lead to this beautiful destination that is the love I share for this life and this man. As I sat in my office that day trying to prepare myself for a world of firsts I realized that I could prepare all I want and it wouldn't matter. I was about to go into a territory that's never been explored with someone who is nothing like I've ever seen before. Not only was this my first athlete, but this was my first case where the dudes life was on the line. His job and his well being was in danger of being offed and if this life coaching gig didn't work out the  I more than failed as a life coach but failed a woman too. I was used to working with people who knew who they were and where they wanted to go but didn't know how to get what they wanted. Then I get Corey who didn't know who he was, who he wanted to be or really why he had to be here. And it was rough at the start, don't get me wrong. It's hard for most people to open up, and this guy was so closed that he was basically the pages of a AP summer reading book, that's how closed he was.

And while celebrating one year of us meeting might seem a little silly, this was the start of something that means everything to us. This is the date where it all started and we wanted to celebrate it. So we make plans to take a boat ride on the river and reminisce on our times together. Take the time to stop and smell the roses in the middle of this busy garden we shared.

"This city is so incredible. I can see why my dad wanted to move us up here" I admit as we look at the night life light up the sky just over the shoreline.

"I was honestly terrified to live here. I lived in a hotel for a little while and since I got shipped up and down it was always hard for me to get comfortable here. I mean yeah, it was pretty, but you don't have time to appreciate that kinda of things when you're lost in your mind and not in the city" he admits.

"But it makes you appreciate it more now. Looking around, this place isn't all that big. You can get to most places by walking or if you don't want to walk a cab will happily take you there. It's just really tall but to the people who don't have to go through the ups and downs of navigating these buildings that doesn't really matter. We have our own ups and downs to deal with.

But there's no denying that that city is one of a kind, the best in the Midwest really. No other city has history like this place does. No other city have culture like this one does. And no other city lets you find yourself like this place does" I admit.

"Did you always want to live here" he wonders.

"For the most part, yeah. I loved the idea of me being a small part of the bigger picture around here. To mean something, even a little something in a city like this can make the world of difference to someone. I'm not out here trying to save the world, that'll be a waste of time. But I do want to touch as many lives as I can. And not to just be a passer by in their life but to be a part of it" I admit.

"Do you want to stay here forever" he asks and I smile.

"Hell no. If I retire here I'm going to be homeless" I admit.

"Then where are we going to go" he questions and I smile.

"We're going someplace so quiet we can hear the wind whistling through the cracks in the house. We're going to a place so still that we can feel a paper make a breeze as it falls to the ground. We're going to go to a place so light we can see it all.

Chicago is great, but the wow factor is gone when you're here forever. The view is a lot better when you're not so used to it. So I say we find a place so new that we can build a whole new life together however we like it" I admit.

"Can we just do that now" he smirks and I smile real big.

"I truly wish we could, but we can't. So instead we can just continue to day dream" I insist.

"I don't even know how much longer I'll play. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to play. I can't take too many more blows to my head before I start to end up in bad places. And once I am done I'm hoping to have a family of my own to rely on" he claims.

"I'll be here for you, as a goalie or as a simple man. As a father or as a husband. I'll be right here with you" I promise.

"But can you promise me that we'll always find our way back here" he wonders and I smile.

"This is forever our home. This is where we met, where we fell in love and started a life together. This is where we will always feel welcomed and always feel loved. There's no another place like this one and no matter how hard we search we won't find another place like this. I can't imagine being away too long" I admit.

"Good, because we worked our assses off to create what we have here and I would have to have to tell it goodbye" he admits.

"There's no goodbye for places like this, only a see you later" I assure him.

"Well for now I think I'm going to keep making memories here. And all of them are including you" he claims and I smile.

"I'm okay with that" I nod.