35| Love of My Life

Corey

I've always loved music. There's always concerts around the Chicago area that I like to go to or local bands that play in the surrounding places. Usually it's the Chicago bands or the pop ones that do covers. But since I've met Jessica she's taught me the importance of the generational music that was made before or just right after I was born. The eighties itself holds many many incredible bands and singers. I mean you have Michael Jackson and Bon Jovi and Elton John and Billy Joel and of course her favorite, Queen.

As we sit on Jess' couch listening to a record spin a song comes on and I smile. She catches my smile and she smiles too.

"Love of my life, you've hurt me,
You've broken my heart and now you leave me.
Love of my life can't you see,
Bring it back, bring it back,
Don't take it away from me because you don't know what it means to me."

"Why did this make you smile" she finally asks.

"If I told you you wouldn't believe me" I insist.

"Try me" she counters.

"I have been listening to Queens music even since you brought them up. I knew about them because I wasn't born under a rock but never really listened to their music. But after I bought you the record player and those albums that was it, it was over. I had their stuff in my pregame play list and I blasted it in the locker room. Everyone was pretty happy with the fact you got me into their music. They have a lot of quality songs that I believe are game changing.

I usually listened to their upbeat songs, not the slow ones like this one. But this song reached out to me just as much as I had been reaching out to their music. I listened to this song the day you were supposed to leave and it convinced me to go get you" I say.

"Love of my life, don't leave me,
You've taken my love, you now desert me,
Love of my life, can't you see?
Bring it back, bring it back,
Don't take it away from me because you don't know what it means to me.

You will remember
When this is blown over
And everything's all by the way
When I grow older
I will be there at your side to remind you how I still love you, I still love you."

"I actually believe you" she claims and I smile.

"Really" I ask.

"This song is special because Freddie wrote it for his lifelong partner. And not always romantic partner but the one person he always loved more than anyone" she explains.

"You're my Mary" I say and she giggles.

"That's probably the sweetest thing you have ever said to me" she smiles.

"Hurry back, hurry back
Don't take it away from me, because you don't know what it means to me -

Love of my life
Love of my life..."

"I have a idea" I claim.

"That's scary" she jokes and I squeeze her waist. "I'm kidding I'm kidding" she assures me.

"I was going to say we should go to Switzerland to see the statue and where Freddie used to live but since you want to be a meanie now I think she shouldn't go" I say and she turns around in my lap.

"You better not be messing with me" she threatens. It's hard to be intimidated by her when she was actually the cutest thing in the world.

"I'm not. I think we both could use a vacation and you said you always wanted to travel and just haven't gotten around to it. If Freddie likes this place so much then it must be worth traveling to" I shrug.

"I've always wanted to go there" she admits.

"Then why don't we go" I ask.

"Why don't we" she says.

"Well we have to get tickets and a place to stay but maybe at the end of the month we can go. Spend a week there and go to a bunch of different places. See new things and try new things. Spread our wings a little" I suggest.

"That sounds like an amazing time. You sure you want to do this for me? We can go somewhere else if you want" she claims.

"I would go anywhere and do anything with you. Because as long as I have you I know it's going to be special" I insist.

"Aren't you the sweetest" she asks as she grabs my face.

"I try to be" I smirk before she pulls me into a kiss.

After having a little bit of fun on the couch I pull up my laptop and find a flight to Switzerland and a flight back. We get a hotel and a rental car before it was set in stone. Corey and Jessie were going on their first vacation together and I couldn't wait. There was so many romantic things to do there and I know she's going to want to emerge herself into the culture. She was cool like that.

After reading up some about our vacation I go and find Jess in the kitchen like she always is this time of day. She claims cooking helps her think and she is a brilliant cook so I usually don't bother her when she's in here. But I love watching her and it smelled too good to ignore so I join her.

"What are you making" I ask.

"There's potatoes au gratin and fresh green beans and Philly cheesesteak" she says and I smile big.

"I'm gonna marry you one day" I announce and she laughs.

"Is it because I'm going to be a good wife who cooks you food" she asks.

"You're going to be an amazing wife. And not just because you cook and I know that whenever we decide to have kids they're going to have the best mom in the world, but because you make my life so much better. It's never eating with you, it's dining. We're never just listening to music, we're experiencing it. And I know a ring doesn't mean much, but I can't wait to prove to everyone that not only am I the luckiest man in the world to have you turn my life around, but you also got my world to start spinning again too" I say as I grab her waist. She sets down the spatula she was using to mix the meat for the sandwich before wrapping her arms around my back and digging her fingers into my my muscles pulling me closer. I never took her as the one to be so physically affectionate but it makes sense with how much she wears her heart on her sleeve.

"I truly hope you realize how amazing you are" she says softly and I smile.

"Thanks to you I do see it" I admit.