Chapter 24

* * *

* * *

A chuckle built in my stomach, resonating through my ribs, reaching my lips. We were watching Friends. I was sitting on my favorite couch in my dad's hospital room. I peeked towards my left, only to see my dad smiling.

This was our routine. I would come here every day after school, we would watch Friends as I did my homework and at eight PM I would go home to sleep and wake up to go to school and then visit him. It has been like this for a month now. Chemo wasn't working anymore, and his organs were giving in. In all, I tried my best to stay positive, he needed to know I was alright and the least I could do was to give him that. For his peace.

"What's that, kiddo?" His tired, soft voice reached my ears. I rolled my eyes in response, I was 14 and he would still call me kiddo.

"I'm not a baby anymore, dad." I complained, seeing a smile grow on his chapped lips.

"Oh, you will always be my little baby. Now quit whining and give me that book." Now it was my turn to smile. I extended my arm to give him my biology text.

"You know, Darwin and Mendel were idiots." I laughed. "They were alive in the same exact time and they never crossed paths. Just think about how enlightening their meeting would have been for the evolution theory."

"It wasn't their fault, dad. They didn't have globalization back then. It's not like they could have found each other on Facebook or something." My father snorted.