Chapter 23

 * * *

* * *

"It's a tumor on the spinal cord." I said, looking up to the scans Ethan was holding.

"A hemangioblastoma." His voice tickled down my body. We were laying on his bed. My head rested against his chest as we both looked up to analyze the picture he was showing.

I had woken up to him staring at the scans. As soon as he realized I was awake, he asked me to come closer and take a look. What for? I didn't know.

"Have you seen one before?" I switched my vision to look at him, his face reflected pure conflict. He was trying to figure this tumor out.

Primary spinal cord tumors — tumors that originate in the spine — are usually benign. Although this one didn't look benign at all.

Anyways, they are so rare that they account for only a half of one percent of all newly diagnosed tumors. Malignant primary tumors of the spinal cord are even less common.

"Not this big." He answered, glancing briefly down at me. "You see how the tumor has worked its way up the spine?" He lifted the hand that used to be caressing my exposed back to point at the scan, tracing a line along the whole cord. "It's taken over the blood supply. It's a perfect tumor." Perfect in a bad way, of course.

"You know if the patient still has leg function?" For all I knew, this scan could belong to a defunct patient.

"He walks normally. It's incredible. He should be paralyzed, dead." He placed the scan on top of the nightstand as he ran one of his hands through his hair, sighing.