Part 40: The Plot Thickens

*It wasn't part of the plan*, Danica's mind rushed as she raced through Gotham's streets. *Oh, God.*
Danica's stomach twisted uncomfortably, as it usually did when felt impending calamity. Jerome and Barbara were supposed to let Galavan be hero, let him rescue the charity. Although she didn't have a problem with deterring from any plan set in by the egotistical politician, Danica couldn't shake the feeling that this change of events was going to spiral down hill *really* fast.

Danica was able to scurry through the streets with ease; those who barely got a look at her mistook her as a police officer rushing to a crime scene. Danica went through a hidden hallway, a corridor cut off from the building with easier access inside with little else.

She heard Jerome's voice from above. *Gotta get to him! Faster, Danica!*

There was a hatch above her. Heavily panting, Danica pushed it open. This led to the backdrop of the stage. Whatever was happening, she rise behind the stage performers in time to stop whatever was happening. Danica used her acrobatic muscles to hoist herself through this roof, where light flooded over her.

Screams from the crowd. Danica pulled her pocket knife from her pocket. Her eyes immediately found Jerome. He was facing her. But Galavan stood in front of her with his back to her. Then-

"*JEROME!*" Danica let out a horrified scream as Galavan rose a hand and struck a knife deep into Jerome's throat.

Barbara turned to Danica, shocked by Galavan's twist of plans. The crowd collectively gasped.

Danica stood there, frozen, as Galavan lowered Jerome to the floor of the stage, blood flowing from Jerome's neck. Jerome's hands grasped at Galavan's arms, trying to push him off. But he lay there, dying. Danica roared belligerently, then bum-rushed Galavan, shoving her knife into his back. Galavan cried out in pain.

"Traitor!" Danica screamed. Although fury was etched all in her face, from her eyes came a stream of hot tears. She pushed Galavan aside, away from Jerome's body.

"Honey." Danica fell on her knees, staring in horror as he looked up at her. There was a smile on his face. Danica uselessly covered his neck with her hand, trying to stop the bleeding. "You...You can't leave...me."

Barbara looked up, still stunned. She glanced up to see Jim Gordon, gun aimed she and Danica. Onlookers were all petrified, unsure of what to do.

Danica's anger faded, replaced by mewling pleas for Jerome to come back to life, as if he were playing a cruel joke. Tears streamed down her cheeks. When she realized he was dead, Danica's breathing became faster. She turned her sights on Galavan.

"*You *." Danica coughed through a hoarse voice. "I'll...*fucking * kill you."

Barbara jolted forward, taking Danica swiftly by the waist.

"Baby," she said, "I know you're hurting, but we have to go now! We have to go now!"

"Freeze!" Gordon called out, storming the stage.

"We have to go *now*! Come on!" Barbara pulled Danica to her feet. "Run!"

Danica and Barbara headed for the glass cage. Barbara threw up her hands, a red curtain fell, and the floor beneath them opened through a trap door.

Danica's cries echoed through the dark corridor as Barbara took her hand, dragging her to the exit where they were just outside the city skirts. Barbara held Danica steady.

"Baby, *listen!*" Barbara yelled fiercely.
Danica didn't look sad anymore. Barbara knew that face by now.

*Bloodlust*.

"You can't come back to the house," Barbara told her. "You have to go. Galavan will kill you, we both know that is true. You have to leave. We have history, Danica. I know what *this*," she inclined the direction of the Charity Event, "feels like. But you have to hide."

Danica nodded, wiping the tears from her face.

"For what it's worth, I didn't know he was going to do that," she admitted. "I *am* sorry."

"Not your fault. Not your apology." Danica said tearfully. Her heart was breaking. *Ouch.*

Danica nodded, kissed Barbara on the cheek. Barbara watched Danica flee.