Part 18: Barbara Kean

Danica only knew of Barbara Kean of what the Underworld spoke of Jim Gordon—and even then, it was still a bit foggy since the only things that she heard about either them had been from her father, who had been biased in his own right. She knew what anybody knew about Barbara—that she was Jim Gordon's girlfriend. Of course, maybe not now since she was heading to the corridor where they give you the dress for the party in the House.

A week had passed and Danica's wounds along her jaw and had healed considerably, though the incisions themselves looked fucking painful. After the first few hours, she had pushed through it with a heavy amount of Heroin, which in turn knocked her out for several days. If she had done anything while in her drug-induced have, she couldn't recall. They kept her in general population, so it couldn't have been too gruesome.

Jerome found her exquisite at least. He became extremely fond of her scars, easily feeling that strong urge to take her in the bathroom and—Shut the fuck up, man.

He watched Danica come through the room after being checked by the Medical Personnel; they had given her another ice pack, which she tossed aside carelessly onto the floor. She sat down beside him as per routine, but wore a frown on her face, despite the permanent smile along her jaw.

Jerome already knew why. No more crawling through the vents. Although he also lamented the lost opportunity as well, he found no reason to sulk. He  scooted closer to her and leaned in to speak to her,
"Perhaps I could persuade one of them to turn a blind eye."

"You can't assault a guard," Danica told him gently, placing both her hands on the table. "Appreciated, but we're both on thin ice."

"I can," he said, "and I am tempted to do so because, selfishly, I'm tired of seeing you like this."

"I'll get over it." Danica sighed. "Don't do anything." When he didn't respond, she turned to him.

He wore a fixed expression on his face. Not smiling, just a blank stare.

"Seriously, Jerome." Danica insisted.
"Oh, I know that you're serious. It's really the only reason why I'm not smiling right now. The whole reason why we've been doing this is turn that frown upside down."

Danica shrugged him off.

The doors opened and Barbara Kean walked into the House, as if she were strolling into the mall. Danica clicked her teeth, watching her sit down a little ways from her. Jerome glanced at Danica.
"Talk to her," Jerome said. "I gotta talk to my friend."
"About what?" said Danica.
"Clearly, we're both bored with this conversation, so—" he gestured for her to get up. "Do that weird bonding thing that women do. I've been told that it's healthy."

Danica sighed and slide down to the end of table; Jerome wandered to the other side of the room. When Danica came into view of Barbara Kean, she looked up and cringed.
"Yeah," said Danica, acknowledging the scars on her face. "It happens."

"Who are you?" Barbara said, though her voice wasn't as inviting. Who could be?
"Danica Bauer."
Barbara paused.
"Bauer? You're that eighteen-year-old junkie, aren't you? The pack rat for the mob family."

Danica grinded her teeth for a second.
"Addict, not junkie; and I was 'The Mule', not a pack rat."

"Same difference." Barbara shrugged.

"Not exactly," returned Danica.

"Okay, so what do you want?" Barbara resigned.

"How is Jim?"

"We're not together," she answered.
"Shocking," Danica said.
Barbara frowned.

"If you stay like this," Danica said gently, "you're gonna get a lot of flame. I was a bitch when I first got here. It gets lonely."

"Thanks, I'll remember that." Barbara remarked. "Is that what happened to you? Your face get chopped for bad behavior?"

Danica chuckled.
Barbara stared at her.

"Sex gone too well, dearie," Danica said.

Barbara still kept a fixed eye on her.

Danica caught her attention.

"Yeah," Danica reaffirmed Barbara's thoughts, "it happens. Even in here. So, darling," she advised, "as beautiful as you are, I recommend you get friendly really fast before someone decides to do the same to you."

Barbara stopped her by taking her hand.
"Okay," she said quickly. "I get it."
"You will," Danica warned her darkly, withdrawing her hand from her.

Danica returned to the seats with Aaron, Sionis, Jerome. She glanced at Jerome affirmatively,

"All yours, Darling."

On cue, Jerome rose to his feet and strode toward Barbara where he hopped into the seat in front of her. Sionis looked at Danica.

"I like that woman," said Sionis.
"Good," said Danica roughly, "then she doesn't need to worry about anyone attacking her."
Sionis blinked.
"But Jerome did that to you—"
"I'm aware," Danica snapped. She paused. "Was I extremely bitchy when I got here?"

The table glanced at each other momentarily and:

"Yep. Yes. Really bitchy. Cunt-worthy."
Danica looked at Aaron, Dobkins, Greenwood, and Sionis with an offended look before shrugging,
"Okay, I deserve that."

Danica saw Sionis gazing at Barbara.
"You really like her, huh?"
"She's beautiful." Sionis said. "I have to warn every fucker in here that—"

"You don't have to 'warn' anybody," Danica sneered.

"Well, Danica, I'm not exactly coolly content with marking up her face to show that she's—"

Danica hissed, and she leaned forward and smacked him across the face. Sionis was stunned. Danica raised a finger at him,
"Let's get a few things straight," she said. "Jerome didn't mark me to stop other men from flirting or touching me. He's got no qualms with that unless there's fucking involved. Two, this was not a punishment, so your close-minded vanilla-extract mind can can that right now—"

"Sweetie, don't talk to me like that," Sionis said gently. "You don't know what I do in the bedroom." He had an arrogant air about him.

Danica made a scathing noise, rising to her feet. Jerome stood up and caught her before walking out the door.

Barbara saw the two of them together; noticing their closeness, the way he palmed her arm to stop her from walking out of general population; her posture in front of him as she and he spoke rapidly, back and forth.
Barbara shook her head, of course he was the one who did that to her.

Then she strode toward Sionis to find how she was going to get that telephone.