Chapter 27: Master

After Ren and I left the dormitory, we walked back to the school building and headed to the main gates. Since there was no other way to leave school campus than to leave through the main gates, we had to go back to the main building.

After we were let through, we both checked our schedules to check what classes we had. Other than the academic classes I have everyday from 8am to 12pm, I had 'Laws of Magic', 'Basics of Combat', 'Business Essentials', 'Agriculture', 'Fundamentals of Architecture', 'Introduction to Medicine' split into rotation. 'Laws of Magic', 'Basics of Combat', 'Business Essentials' were on one day from 1pm to 4pm. The rest were on the next day, right after the academic classes. Ren had a similar schedule, except instead of 'Basic of Combat', he had 'Fundamentals of Hunting and Killing' and instead of 'Introduction to Medicine', he had 'Magical Beast Training'.

We both passed through the marketplace on the third level, finding a bookstore easily. All academic textbooks were sold here. Ren and I were about to buy the books required for mathematics, geography, history and literature, but I saw a fellow female student, seemingly sulking by the books, blocking the path.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to block the wa-P-Princess Liliane?!"

She quickly covered her mouth and turned pink. I could only sigh at this sight.

"Don't be so flustered. We're both students here; we have an equal standing."

"Really?"

"Yes."

She sighed with relief, and smiled beautifully. I reached out my hand and pulled her up.

"Um, hello. My name is Flora Brown. Nice to meet you."

I studied the student in front of me. I remembered that she was one of the applicants at the capital taking the elimination test. I think I saw her conjuring an Earth Golem when I was looking out from the carriage. I think she was one of the few commoners that actually passed the entrance exam?

"I believe you conjured an Earth Golem in the elimination exam, right? That was amazing."

"You were watching that?!"

"Yup."

She covered her cheeks that were turning red from embarrassment. Cute.

"Flora, if you don't mind me asking, why were you...crouching in front of the books?"

"Ah! Right...about that...I was wondering how I could buy them...you might know, but I'm a commoner, so I can't quite afford all of this."

True. Since this academy only supplies you with the teachers, you have to get the resources. For a economically strained person, that might be a bit difficult. I could just give her the money, but she seems like the person who would just reject it straight out...well, I guess it's worth a try.

"Then what about I buy them for you?"

"Nononononononono! I canot let the princess buy me textbooks!"

Yup. Thought so.

"Then, what about you try the second-hand book stalls? They might have a few used textbooks for cheaper."

"Ah! That's a wonderful idea! I'll go check them right away. Thank you, Princess!"

She rushed out the door, but I really do wish she would stop calling me 'Princess' here.

Well, both since that problem was resolved, Ren and I finally bought those books. There were about seven textbooks in total we already bought; one for mathematics, one for geography, two for history and three for literature. The store owner gave us cloth bags to put them in, so it was easier to carry them. We found the other necessary textbooks in other bookstores except for the textbook for 'Magic Beast Training' and 'Agriculture'. You would think that this island would at least have books that the Academy used in bookstores, but apparently the courses differ each year, so the textbooks change too.