Chapter 22: Engagement Ball

Until the ball, I was prepped up from morning to get ready. From the plan and rules, to what to say and what to do when Ren is announced as my fiancé. Ren's birthday is six months earlier than mine, so the engagement and coronation and everything got piled up close to my birthday.

When it was finally three o'clock, my maids started to get me ready. I was dressed into a simple flowing pale pink dress with the hem decorated with while lilies. My hair was half up, half down.

The rest of the time was for finishing touches, and waiting until the ball starts.

At 6 o'clock, I was lead into the ballroom once again by Emma, and I was faced with the same nobles from last night. I greeted them like yesterday, then ushered to the front of the ball room where after and mother awaited. Ren was with them as well.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for attending this joyful event today. I am pleased to announce the engagement of Prince Ren Hiard Aldon and my daughter, Princess Liliane Mary Acton."

The crowd erupted into murmurs, but they covered it with applause.

I spotted the heroine there, and she was glaring at me. I was tempted to glare back, but I felt I would get scolded by mother if I did that, so I resisted.

The nobles came up and asked many questions, all that fitted into the ones I practiced answering to. Ren's side was successfully progressing too, so there weren't any problems overall. Clara seemed to have tried to approach Ren, but the other nobles got in the way.

Once everything settled down, I left for the garden while everyone danced to the orchestra music that started to play.

I was staring at the sunset, which painted the garden with a warm, orange colour.

I felt a hand lift up my left hand, then slip something on the ring finger. I turned to it's owner, and I saw Ren's face. Memories from last night surfaced, and both of our faces turned slightly pink.

I looked back down to my left hand, seeing that he placed a ring on it. It was a beautiful diamond ring with a flower motif. I held it up to the setting sun, letting it glimmer.

"It's beautiful. Thank you."

"Yea."

"Did you pick it out?"

"Yea."

...?

"Are you listening?"

"Yea."

...

"Can I kiss you again?"

"Yea."

...

"Okay~ I'm really going to do it."

" Yea."

I close in, until my forehead touches his. He finally looks up at me.

"Aaaaaaaaahhh!"

He stumbles back, his face red again. He brings his arms up into a defensive stance.

"W-w-w-what are you doing?"

"I dunno. Teasing you because you're totally ignoring your fiancé?"

"Ah, right. Sorry."

"What were you thinking about anyway?"

"Nothing!"

"Hmmm...suspicious..."

"No really, it's nothing."

"Okay..."
I stretched my hand out to his, but when I touched it, he flinched away.

"What's wrong? You've been acting weird all night."

"..."

"Was that a bit sudden?"

"?"

"Did you not like it?"

"Like what?"

"The kiss."

"?!"

I saw his face burn red again.

"No..."

"Good. There's no problem then, right?"
I grad his hand, and intertwine it with mine.

We watched the sunset silently, as the pale moon surfaced in the darkening sky.

It was getting colder, so I lead Ren towards the doors to the ballroom. A few meters away from the door, he suddenly stopped.

I turned around, and I felt something soft on my lips. I was shocked, but I slowly closed my eyes.

When I opened them once again, Ren was bright red and avoiding any eye contact.

He staggered past me and said,
"I-I-I w-w-will excuse m-myself for t-t-t-t-tonight. Good night!"

He then dashed into the ballroom to exit it a few seconds after through the main doors. I smiled happily at the scene, to see Ren act like that again. I hummed into the ballroom in a good mood once again.

Though I do wish that it was a bit longer...

_________________________
A/N: Please forgive my slacking for the past few weeks! School has been really hectic with the term almost coming to an end! I'll try to work on this more often!
Here's the ring Ren have to Liliane:

_________________________A/N: Please forgive my slacking for the past few weeks! School has been really hectic with the term almost coming to an end! I'll try to work on this more often!Here's the ring Ren have to Liliane:

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!
(๑>◡<๑)