Chapter 39: Change

Its been three weeks since Liliane woke up, and her life in the palace has never been busier. Everyone busied themselves with the upcoming wedding, including the bride herself. She had wedding dress fittings to attend to, and different shades of white to choose for things ranging from napkins to the curtains in the hall. Fortunately the prosthetics the craftsman made were exceptionally done. They were made from solid gold and magic stones, but they functioned almost perfectly. If the mana flow was controlled properly, she could walk and write normally as she did before. She would have awkward movements from time to time, but otherwise, Liliane had been adjusting to the change pretty well. for things ranging from napkins to the curtains in the hall.

As for the person she was soon to marry, he had gone back to Aquamerria the day Liliane woke up. Ren had to prepare his side of the marriage and his brother's coronation, as well as taking care of his ailing father. He sent Liliane letters every few days, but the contents were filled with nothing but small talk.

After a dozen days of preparation of both sides, it was already the night before the wedding. Ren hadn't shown his face since Liliane woke up, but his letters have become more frequent since the week prior. Small talk was replaced with more meaningful substance; it seems things on his side were calming down a little more. His brother's coronation was to take place shortly after the wedding, so they had many things to plan. His father's hasn't gotten worse, but it hasn't gotten better either. Even in his letters Ren seemed stressed. It appears neither of them are quite ready for this marriage. 

Even so, the wedding will still take place whether they like it or not. That's what both of the kingdoms decided, after all. As Ren was marrying into the royal family of Floria, the ceremony was going to take place in Floria's palace. He arrived this afternoon, and stayed in his room resting since then.

.  .  .

A knock sounded at the door. Liliane looked at the clock on the wall; it was too late for it to be Emma. She picked up her shawl and wrapped it around her shoulders. Slowly cracking the door open, she saw Ren. 

"I'm—I'm wondering if it's too late to talk." he said. His eyelids looked heavy, and his shoulders were a little hunched downwards; different from his usual princely posture.

"I suppose I can make an exception." Liliane said. She left her door slightly ajar as she went out into the hallway. "What brings you here so late at night, Ren?" 

"I...just wanted to talk with you before tomorrow. I..." he  struggled with his words. "I wanted to apologize." . 

"For what exactly?"

"For not being there for you. I mean it in a sense of the incident at the academy, and the past month. I haven't been the best fiancé, let alone a friend." 

Silence followed. Liliane didn't know how to respond.

"I know you must be angry with me, disappointed, even. You probably don't want to marry me anymore. I understand. You have every right to. I don't deserve you."

"Are you asking for forgiveness?"

His face suddenly flashes in embarrassment, perhaps even shame. 

"I.." words don't follow through. He shuts his mouth tightly, as if he's determined to never open it again. The atmosphere is awkward and tense, something Liliane wasn't used to when she was with Ren.

"What am I supposed to do, then?" her voice trembled involuntarily. 

Ren stared at the floor. Liliane took a deep breath, and let out a long sigh.

"Just...Next time, tell me beforehand you want to be with someone else. You can even bring her to the pala-"

"There won't be a next time." his voice echoed in the empty hallway.