Chapter 47

Harry roughly pulled me to my feet and held me tightly against his chest, an arm at the base of my throat to hold me still. I clawed at his arm, trying to make him remove his grasp on me, but he was just too strong. I glanced down at his hand and noticed a few small drops of blood remaining where I had sank my teeth into his skin. The wound had completely healed.

I watched helplessly as Louis leaned down and looped his arms under Zayn's and started to drag him backwards, further away from me. I panicked when I thought he was going to throw him over the side of the landing, but I released a breath that I hadn't realised I was holding when he laid him down on the opposite side of the floor, next to the broken crate. He remained motionless, his eyes shut and face unnaturally pale, even for a vampire. I kept my eyes locked on him, tears falling one after the other as he continued to lie there as if he were dead.

As if he were dead.

No. He wasn't dead. I'd read up on my vampire history, and heard a great deal from Sophie - a vampire could only be killed if their heart was pierced or someone managed to decapitate them. Remembering Louis' earlier words, it seemed like he wouldn't be killing Zayn, but what was to happen after I'd been tortured and most likely killed? What of Zayn after that? Would Louis let him go free to live with himself after someone else he was close to had died? I closed my eyes, begging someone to help Zayn. Anyone.

Harry's grip on my arms tightened and I winced. I tried once again to pull away from him, hoping his grip would loosen by at least an inch. I opened my eyes and let them fall upon Zayn again, willing him to wake. Please wake up, Zayn. Please, I love you.

"Don't worry," Louis said, sauntering back over to Harry and I, an evil grin plastered across his face. The way he moved almost gracefully and with such confidence made me want to slap that smirk from his face. "Your boyfriend will be fine in a few minutes." He suddenly stopped before us, frowning ever so slightly, the smile slipping from his face. He turned and made his way back over to Zayn, reaching down to retract the stake from his back. He pushed it back in and I screamed out.

"No, stop!" I cried. "What are you doing?!"

"Just making sure he doesn't run away," Louis said, stepping over Zayn and sitting down on the hay bale beside where Harry and I were standing. I glared down at him, noticing the way his eyes crinkled ever so slightly as he grinned.

"Run away?" I questioned.

"He moved it closer to the heart," Harry informed me and  I shuddered as his breath hit the back of my neck. I squirmed again, trying to lash out at Louis, punch him, scratch him hard enough to leave some kind of mark.

"Stop this! You bastard, I said stop it!" I yelled, my eyes noticing the dark patch pooling into the material of Zayn's shirt where the stake protruded from his back. He's going to be in so much pain, I thought, sniffling at the sight. Zayn was so powerful, so strong, and to see him in the way he was, was heart breaking. I looked away and down at Louis. I kicked out, my foot colliding with his shoulder and pushing him over slightly. He looked up at me with rage, his eyes wide as if my assault had been unexpected.

"Kick me again, and I'll break your leg," he said sweetly, standing up.

"He'll kill you, you know." I looked over at Zayn, knowing he was strong enough to do so if he wanted. "He's perfectly capable of it."

"In the state he's in?" Louis said, looking down at the unconscious vampire. "Hm, I doubt it. And besides, I'm a lot older and stronger than him, Laura."

"Sometimes there are more powerful things," I spat. "Don't underestimate him."

"I think it's too late for that now, Laura. Look at him! He's pathetic! Hardly put up much of a fight. Pretty weak if you ask me. Maybe I should just move the stake a little more to the right...?"