Chapter 5 |

"SO, YOU'RE DEFINITELY up for Saturday?" Kate asked me as we walked to history. 

We'd come full circle, initially discussing Kate's little get together and who could all make it so far. That led to who else she was considering inviting, for her to then swither on whether or not she wanted it to be all girls or boys and girls, only for her to then contemplate inviting Zayn (to which I'd remained neutral) and finally back to who could all make it so far. 

Part of me wanted her to invite Zayn. His arrival would have proved useful in my uncovering his secrets.

"Yeah, I'm free," I said.

"Thank God. I don't know what I'd have done without you," Kate said as she checked her phone, probably bombarding those who hadn't replied yet.

"You'd have been fine, Rodgers," I told her and she just scoffed.

The final bell rang as we reached the top floor and the corridors were suddenly full of students rushing around to get to their first classes. Kate and I were pushed from side to side as we headed to Miss Burn's small, poster-covered classroom.

"Six o'clock," Kate mumbled to me as she held her phone up in the air. I frowned to begin with but it didn't take me long to understand as I turned to look over my shoulder. 

Right behind us, looking just as smart as he had the day before, was Zayn.

"Morning," he said to Kate and I as he started to walk with us to class. It turned out that Zayn was in all of my classes apart from Geography, so showing him around for the past two days, hadn't been quite as hectic as I had thought it would have been. I still managed to get to all of my classes early, and not be held back five minutes after the bell, trying to make sure Malik got to the correct classroom.

"Hey," Kate and I said at the same time, sending Zayn a smile as we did. Zayn happened to sit at the back of the classroom beside Kate and I, which was kind of awkward for me,  as I had already seen his strange mood switches, him getting undressed, and then the joy of finding out he was my new neighbour. All in under three full days.

"Burns better be teaching us something good today, and not start talking about the Era of the Great War again. Does she even remember that she taught us all of that in Year 7?"

"She's old. Give her a break." I told Kate as we walked through the classroom door. I heard Zayn chuckling behind us and I couldn't help but smile as his laughter filled the empty classroom. Kate and I were always the first ones to History as we started to walk up five minutes before the bell rang, therefore the classroom was empty of both students and teachers.

Kate slid through the closely placed tables in the room before she sat down in her seat at the back. The classroom seats were made up in threes and due to bad behaviour in classes, the seating chart was either boy-girl-boy or girl-boy-girl. Luckily, as Kate and I were hard workers, we were allowed to sit together at the back. Zayn had been told the day before that he could take the empty seat next to me, and so our three seats were all taken up.

"She's gonna be late again, you watch," Kate muttered, referring to our History teacher as she pulled her History folder from her bag and dumped it on the table along with her pencil case. Zayn and I copied her actions, lifting our things from our bags before they landed on the tabletop in front of us. Zayn's hand brushed mine as he pulled a pen from his bag and an electrical current shot through my arm at the contact. Feeling slightly awkward, I tucked my hair behind my ear and cleared my throat.