Chapter 8

"KATE MADE SURE TO BUY all of the food." Niall told me as I sat down beside him on the couch at the back of the living room. Kate had also made sure to set the place up for a party; there were several decorations scattered around the room and dangling form the celling, the loud music had a mixture of different tunes playing, one after another other and the small coffee table in the middle of the room was full of little party snacks. Almost immediately, Niall bent down to the table and started to pile his plate up. I laughed and rolled my eyes at the Irish lad, his love for food quite amusing.

"The house looks great." I told Kate as she also kneeled down beside the table, her eyes on me.

"Thanks. Sophie and Niall helped me decorate while Marielle and Liam prepared the food." she said, sending Niall a small wink. I looked over at him to see his reaction and from the pink in his cheeks, I could tell that he was blushing. Kate laughed and then she smiled at him.

"Sorry about the early phone call, Laura." I heard Sophie call from the kitchen all of a sudden. She had been in there for a quite a while now, apparently preparing a surprise for us all, but who knew what she was actually doing? She'd been in there for ages.

"It's fine. I wouldn't have known when to get up if you hadn't bothered to tell me." I called back before I looked around at Kate and glared at her. "Though someone could have texted me the details a few days before." I said directly to her.

Her eyes widened. "What?" she asked, raising her hands in surrender. I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms across my chest.

"You know very well what." I said and she just rolled her eyes and laughed at me. I copied her and laughed at the false tension between the pair of us. Fights weren't our sort of thing, and we'd never actually had a proper fight over anything in our entire lives. Verbal fights, yes, but physical fights - no way.

I looked around the room at the decorations and I even managed to notice some party poppers beside the door. I smirked and then looked around at my friends. Niall and Kate were now making conversation across the table, chatting about the Biology test coming up in the next week before the Halloween Disco for the seniors. Sophie was still in the kitchen, doing who knows what. Marielle was showing Liam something on her phone that had the pair of them in fits of laughter. Zayn, however, was sitting alone in the corner of the room in the arm chair.

I frowned as I watched him, guilt washing over me. He must have felt so alone being there, not knowing anyone very well apart from me, I supposed. I shuffled off of the couch and to my feet, Kate immediately taking my place beside Niall.

"Hey." I said to Zayn as I walked up to him. His head snapped up when I spoke and a grin appeared on his lips. I stopped and crouched down so I was sitting on the floor in front of him. He looked down at me as I sat and I smiled up at him, trying to lighten the mood a little.