{33}

Ashton.

    I was having a normal day, just one filled with worry for my baby.

I prayed that those fuckers would leave her alone.
I prayed that she would have someone to help her through this.

A little after lunch, I felt my phone vibrate.

I stepped out of the OR, since I was observing a surgery.

I scrubbed out which took several moments before I was able to read them

I saw Ivory's name and I felt my heart skip.

Please be good news.

And at the news- my heart broke.

And I never ran faster.

I found the first guy I could- which was Calum.

We ran outside- seeing the income of ambulances pulling out bleeding kids.

We got in the first empty, making him take us.

We stood outside of the school- and I found the first police officer I could.

"I'm a trauma surgeon and my daughter is in that school- I can help, let me in."

"We are in contact with the hostages and the shooter- we can't make any moves until we know he's injuring more."

This was bullshit.

I yelled at everyone, I cried, I grabbed the fucking chief of the police telling him that I deserved some fucking answers- and I finally got them.

"The hostages are and elementary student and Ivory Irwin, the shooter is Dylan Burke, they seem to be safe for now"

I fell to my knees.

"Ivory is my ducking daughter- get her out of there right now- give him what he wants, does he want money?! He can have all my fucking money just get my baby out-" the door swung open, a kid came running out.

Calum scooped the kid up, running him to a paramedic.

I watched this kid hold a gun to my baby girls head- holding her in a choke hold as her anxiety got the best of her.

I fell to my knees- everyone dead silent as we watched them talk- no one could hear a world.

Soon my baby was put on her knees- and if it wasn't for the police next to me- holding all of my body weight back, I would be up to him.

I would've tackled him.

I would've hurt him to where he couldn't hurt my baby.

I sobbed- begging him as loud as I could.

They acted as if they couldn't even hear me.

He moved the gun for a split second- and they took that chance.

But with the one shot, I heard another.

I watched him fall and I watched my baby almost fall forward in a scream- the chief picking her up immediately.

I ran to him, taking her- running with her as fast as I could.

I listened to her screams and I spoke to her- not even sure what I was responding to.

Calum and I went straight to work.

I cut her shirt, immediately grabbing gauze to stop the bleeding.

"Ashton- gloves, you're not even supposed to touch her." He reminded me as I got more and more of her blood on my hands.

I wasn't supposed to use medical treatment on my own family

But they can kiss my ass.

I got an oxygen mask over her mouth as Calum got morphine into her system- her I held her head, making her panicked eyes focus to me.

"Don't let me die" she cried out.

"You're not dying."

I was sure of that.

As soon as the ambulance stopped- Calum and I ran her inside.

We got her into a trauma room.

"We need to get this bullet out." Calum spoke as we moved her to a solid bed.

Nurses helped hook her up to monitors, and I focused on her shoulder.

"You're going to be in a lot of pain and I'm so sorry baby" I spoke, grabbing the gauze to pull them out.

"Whatever you do- don't close your fucking eyes."

I got a nod from her, and I saw a nurse grab her hand, giving her something to bite.

I pulled the gauze out, Calum handing me a local anesthetic, which made me quite joy numb it, which wouldn't do much justice

Calum and I glanced to each other.

"Do you want me to do it?" He questioned.

I nodded no

I was getting this bullet out of her.

She screamed in pain as I basically dug in her shoulder- searching for this damn bullet.

And soon I saw it.

I almost jerked it out- immediately covering the area, stopping the bleeding.

"Get an oxygen mask on her and get her blood- O negative." I spat.

"I need a cleansing and stitch kit."

"This is going to burn like a fucked baby." I spoke, kissing her head

Ashton held a rag under her arm to catch the water that fell.

I cleaned her arm- I rinsed the blood out, feeling more than horrible for causing the reason that my baby was screaming and crying.

I mumbled her again once I was sure it was clean, and I gave her a second before I started the stitches.

She was covered in blood, some of which wasn't even hers.

I took the mask off of her- seeing that she was breathing okay.

"Talk to me baby" I spoke.

"I can't feel my fingers" she sobbed- and I felt a pure moment of panic

"Ashton- she's numb." Calum spoke quickly and I stood, searching for a needle.

I couldn't breathe almost.

"Ashton." Calum spoke sterner than ever, fully grabbing my shoulders.

I gasped for air.

"Sit down and hold your daughter- she doesn't need you as a doctor anymore, she needs you as a fucking dad."

"Calum I can't-" "you either sit in the bed with her or I'll get you kicked out, I'm not bluffing Ashton, you're stressing her out and you and I both know that, that's not what she needs."

He was more than right

I got in the bed with her, and I held my baby.

"Thank you god"