11. Pushed away?

"So... How are they feeling?" I stretched out my wings and smiled wide. Not an ounce of pain at all. I shook myself out and pushed up into the air letting my wings keep me up. Still no pain. I was happy. Really happy... I dropped back to the ground and fell back, rolling over like a dog and just laid there. Patton laughed and laid down beside me. "I take it you're all healed up?" I nodded and he smiled.

"Hey, Virgil?" He looked up at the sky and I puffed out a little bit of smoke in response. "Do you think that... maybe we should tell Roman?" I started to growl and Patton started shaking his head. "I don't necessarily mean everything. Just... I don't know. Something." He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "It seems that Roman cares for you..." I spun myself back over and rested my head on Patton's chest. "...and you clearly care for him." He absentmindedly started to pet my nose and I noticed the worried look in his eyes. 

"Maybe we should let him in a little more. You know. Let him get to know the you that I know." I shook my head no and got up. Patton just sat up and brushed his hair back as I started for the house. "What happens when you have an attack and something else blows up, huh?" I stopped short and spun around to see him standing there with this serious but concerned look. "I saw the light. I saw how you've been acting. I know the nightmares came back. It's only a matter of time before..." I started to growl again and he sighed.

"Please, kiddo? He needs to know more if you plan on keeping him around!" I blew out a little fire and he tensed up. Before he could say anything else I flew myself up into the cave and laid down to rest. Not that long after I finally started to fall asleep did I hear the door close. I groaned as Patton walked over and sat beside me. "I'm sorry ok. I know what must be going through your head... But if you never let him in. He'll never feel the need to stay. It's always a risk to let someone in."

I looked up at him and saw the tears in his eyes. Suddenly there was this incessant knocking on the door and Patton looked back at it confused. I watched as he made his way to the door a little lost as to who it may have been. He opened the door and I smiled at the smell of roses and chocolate

"Roman?" I watched as Roman pushed past Patton and literally collapsed on the couch like he was just done with the world. That's something I can relate to. "What's wrong kiddo?"

"He pushed me away!" Roman yelled throwing his arms in the air. I looked up at him and he frowned as he glanced over.  "Sorry, bud. Didn't mean to wake ya." It's ok. You weren't the one that woke me up. I looked over at Patton, who smiled awkwardly as I just laid back down.

"What do you mean? Who pushed you away?" I just moved my head away, closing my eyes and hoping I could sleep a little more before sundown.

"Logan! My own fucking brother pushed me right out of the door." I cringed knowing how much pain hearing that name must have caused Patton. I looked up to see him sitting beside Roman, trying to be supportive. I couldn't possibly go to sleep now knowing the two men I care about are hurting. I got up, stretched out, and made my over to them. Patton glanced over at me and smiled but I'm not quite sure Roman realized I moved.  "He said he didn't want me making the same mistake he made. And I get that, I do but... He's my brother."

"Mistake?" Roman sighed and glanced over at me. I tilted my head confused at just what he was talking about. Roman covered his mouth and seemed to cough like he was choking on something. I moved in closer worried about him but he just smiled. "What mistake?"

"It was the first time he ever opened up, ok? He never even told me until it was over and I saw how upset it made him." Patton's confusion only grew and I reeled back a bit as Roman yelled out in frustration. "He was projecting his sadness over losing his boyfriend on to me because he knows I care for... I... it doesn't matter. The point is he pushed me away because he didn't want me to push someone else away."