12. Chosen Rider...

I jumped off the cliff edge and I felt as Roman latched on my neck, screaming like a  freaking child. I let myself spiral down, but noticed real fast that Roman was panicking. So I let up and soon we were gliding above the clouds.

"Why... what?!" Roman slowly looked down and I literally felt his panic heighten. I looked back at him worried but his eyes went wide and he snapped. "WATCH WERE YOUR GOING!"

I shook myself out and Roman slammed his eyes shut, holding on to me tightly. I wonder if he's scared of heights. He never really liked getting too close to the cliff edge. I have to get him to relax. I have to get him to see what I see. Maybe... Maybe then... 

I dipped below the clouds and Roman started to shake a bit. I saw the reflection of the setting sun in the water and I smiled. I let my wing dip a little and felt the cool water against scales. I heard Roman gasp and I got scared. Is he not enjoying it? Does he hate flying that much? I looked back at him as saw him just staring at me. I had to suppress a smile and I puffed out some smoke. Stop staring, like seriously.

An idea popped in my head and suddenly I was just hovering there. I forced my wings forward with enough force to cause waves in the water. Roman just watch slightly confused but when I started spitting fire into the waves, I saw his eyes light up. He watched as the fire hit the water creating steam that just moved like art. When all the fire and steam was gone, I started for the Kingdom of Edawin again and felt as Roman slowly started to let go. I looked back to see him with his arms out just staring at the sky with such a bright smile.

He looked down at me and his smile only got brighter. My breath caught in my chest and I had to look away. This man... He doesn't even know the hold he has on me. The sun slowly started to fall and I was starting to feel the effects. It's kind of hard to fly when your wings are tensing up. The last thing I want is to start to fall and give Roman another reason to be scared.  I looked back to see Roman looking back with concern, I just puffed out some smoke and quickly set to landing.

When my feet finally touched the ground I looked back at him. He wasn't so tense anymore and that made me happy. I couldn't help but smile. He wasn't moving, so I nudged my head towards the castle and he just laughed, finally jumping down.

"You want me to talk to him, huh?" I shook myself again, rising up onto two feet before coming back down and laying my head by his feet. Of course, I want you to talk to him. If him pushing you away caused you so much pain... then don't let him. "Ok, ok... I get the idea." 

The sun dipped lower and I winced at the pain that shot through me. Roman started to say something but I felt my body start to tense up real bad. So I left as fast as could ignoring all the pain that threatened to bring me down. I nearly crashed into everything tried to land in the cave. I failed. I fell right back onto my wings. Thankfully not broken...

My body convulsed as I started to turn back and just laid there taking it all. When I was finally able to, I stood up and stretched, feeling everything crack and pop. I ran a hand through my hair and looked around to see it empty. Or well Patton was gone. As sad as I am for not having him, I am glad. I don't even want to know what I would've said to him. Patton... The only man I've let myself trust since... since...

"I won't let you hurt him anymore." The rain had me soaked to the bone. I saw the glint in the man's sword and I started to shake, taking a step back.

"You'd give up everything... for him?" You could see the rage and disbelief in Jan's eyes, but the man stood tall and never wavered even once. He wanted to protect me. Why? Why would anyone want to help me?

"Nothing I have is worth a life."

"So be it. I'll be sure to let your father know... After your dead." The Knights started to rush us and I quickly grabbed the mans hand running as fast as I could until the both of us went over the cliff. I pulled the man as close as I could and took a very deep breath before... black.

"Hey... HEY!" I shot up, coughing up water as my body begged for air that just didn't want to come. "You're ok. Just... try to breathe." I looked around to find myself completely lost. I had no clue where I was or how... I looked behind the man to see a river and smiled. I did it. I escaped. I jumped and the river brought me here... brought us here. I tried to get to my feet when this sharp pain shot through my spine and I cried out. "Don't push yourself. Your arm's broken and you're in really rough shape."

"Why?" He gave me this confused look and I just shook my head. "Why help... me. Why..."

"No one deserves that. Not even the so-called monsters they think you are." 

"They wrong." He smiled and I looked away. "I am so much worse."

"Hey, don't say things like that."

"You don't know me." He shook his head as he picked me up. 

"I don't need to. I know what I see." I gave him a confused look and he just smile brightly at me. "I see a young man hurt and in need. I can't just let that go. Besides whatever your past, it can't be as bad as what he did." He started to walk to god knows where and I just sighed.

"Like I said you don't know me." I looked around and my heart dropped. I was wrong. I did know this place. I knew it better than anything. It's my home... Roe...

"My names Patton, by the way." My eyes went wide as his hood finally fell down to reveal his bright blonde hair and blue eyes, a crown ontop his head. "The official ex-prince of Ceit. Don't worry Virgil. I won't let them hurt you anymore."