25. One last stop before sunrise.

"I'm telling you he's asleep."

"And I'm telling you he isn't..." I pushed past one of the guards and started knocking on the door. It wasn't that loud. I didn't want to hurt his ears right now but I wanted to stop by to say goodbye. The guard grabbed my hand and pulled me away with a stern look. I twisted my arm out of his grasp and knocked on the door again, only pissing the guard off. 

"He isn't..." I held a hand up shushing him and he crossed his arms. "keep it up and you'll be..."

"Come in, Virgil." The guard dropped his arms and rolled his eyes. I just smirk as I saluted him a bit snarkily. I closed the door before the guard could do anything more. "I assume this means you will be leaving?"

"The sun is coming up soon so..." I called as I walked over to the bedside. I watched as he placed a book on the nightstand and struggled to sit up. "I wanted to say goodbye. I thought our last conversation was left uninspiring. I do hope I didn't cause you any ill thoughts."

"Spoken like a prince..." I cringed and sat down beside him as he sighed. "How did you know I would be up?"

"Your hands are shaking..." He stopped and looked down. They were shaking badly. Even worse than before. The king sighed as he tried to get them to stop but they wouldn't. Seeing his frustration, I grabbed his hands and let the red take over. I bit back the voices in my head screaming at me as I let my hands warm up. He looked over at me and smiled a bit as the shaking died down slightly. They still shook, but it was manageable. Heat... an effective way to relax and numb some pain. At least it worked for Lya.

"You didn't have to do that." I pulled away and felt my body twitch a bit. 

"Yes, I did. You're in pain. If I can help..." My arms tensed up again and I took a deep breathe trying to calm everything down, as the red slowly dimmed. " If I can help I should."

"So I take this as you finally giving in?" I shot him a confused look and he laughed. "Earlier I tried to ask you and you denied it through your teeth."

"That story was not much of a question. You ambushed me with a tale about your father. A tale that wasn't accurate by the by." He raised an eyebrow at mean I ran a hand through my hair. Your father made the damn thing fall. It wasn't out of nowhere. I told him not to mess around with it. He didn't listen. I couldn't exactly just leave him there."

"I'll take that as a confirmation."

"Take it is what you will."

"What made you change your mind about telling me?" I shrugged and he laughed. "Really? You don't know?"

"Regardless of what I would say, you would push. Honestly, it might be nice having someone else to talk to about it. Patton's nice but..." He nodded his head and I looked away.

"Your secrets will die with me." Geez, when you say it like that. "Do you mind... Telling me about that day? My father never really went into many details."

"What's there to say?"

"I don't anything... Why not tell me some today, and come back tonight to tell me some more." I groaned and looked over to see him smiling.

"You just want to make sure I come back huh?"

"Guilty but on a serious note. I was never close to my father. Any story is better than nothing. Maybe even Roman could."

"NO!" He flinched at the loud noise and I looked away. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell. I just... I don't want him to know about this."

"He's already met the dragon... I'm assuming that's you?" My eyes went wide and he just shrugged laughing at my confusion. "He told me. After you left we had a talk. You made quite the impression on him. How'd you get him to fly with you?"

"I kind of forced him... wait, how?" He just smiled. "He told you about the dragon... er, me."

"Virgil, he cares a lot about you." I scoffed and shook my head. I've been hearing that a bit too much honestly. It's like they're all trying to reassure me. I don't like it. I'll believe it when I hear it from him. "What?"

"It doesn't matter in the long run." He frowned and looked at his hands.

"I take it you know the rule? About Royal relations?"

"Logan may have brought it up." He shook his head and laughed.

"You're a prince, Virgil. Why would it be an issue?" I threw my hand up and groaned loudly.

"I am not a prince. My kingdom is long since gone. I am just a relic of the past. That is all.  Roman... Roman deserves better."

"You say that but you don't leave." I looked over at him and he gave me this serious look. "You love him. That's clear for anyone to see. What I want to understand is how much?"

"What do you mean?"

"Despite the fact that he left for adventure, Roman still holds his position to heart. He is a Prince by nature. Virgil... If you want to be with him..." He looked at the door and frowned. "You have to make a choice. Either he gives up everything... Or you accept who you are." My arm tensed up and I glanced at the clock, frowning. I had stayed too long. The sun was coming up. "Go on, young man."

"I'll be back, if you let me." I got up and made my way to the door.

"And why is that?" I glanced back and smiled just before letting the door close behind me.

"I have a story to tell you."