36. Guilt Sux... (TW)

I'm such a moron. Roman was right there. RIGHT THERE, and I... I could have... I would have lost him and it would have been all my fault. I can't take this crap. Ever since that man walked in her I can't get my father out of m head. All I'm hearing is him laughing. I hear the chains and the knife against the sharpener. It's so dark... It's almost like I never left that horrid basement.

"Virgil." I jumped straining against the chains. I watched as an arm reached up and turned on the headlight above me, blinding me to everything around me. "You disappoint me, Virgil."

"Father?" He came closer and I saw the anger in his eyes. He pushed back his hat and held up a small surgical knife. A new tool... This won't be good. "I'm sorry. Please don't..." He brought the blade across my chest and I cried out.

"Children should learn to be quiet and do as they're told." I tensed up he pulled the chain, causing me to rise in the air. I kicked my feet out struggling against it but my father just laughed as he left. "Maybe some time hanging there in the dark will teach you to obey command."

"Father, please!" The light cracked and broke as the chains lit up. I was shaking and couldn't stop. The darkness crept in so fast. All I could hear was him... him and mother. Oh, god... Mother.

"Bitch!" I felt her hand go across my face so hard I fell to the floor. "Monsters like you should learn their place. Leave Thomas alone. It's your fault he's so sick."

"He was born sick Mother. I had no part in it." Her eyes burned with rage and she raised he hand again to strike me. I pushed myself so far against the wall that I slammed my head back. She just scoffed and looked over towards Thomas room.

"You're the reason he's like that. You taint him and kill him just with being alive. With you gone he'd be free to live and take the throne like we always wanted." I felt the tears start to fall from my face and she rolled her eyes. "You won't get any pity from me you freak. So fuck off and go back to the basement where you belong."

"I hate the basement." I groaned pulling myself out of my memories. I hate the dark. I hate the silence and I hate the loud unending screams. Why won't they just stop? I laid back and felt my body start to shake. 

"Vi... wait... stop..." I jumped up in shock. That was Roman. What... "No... stop... Do...Vir... leave... lone..." I cringed. Was he having a nightmare about me? Did I scare him? Did I hurt him? "Plea... wait..."

"Roman?!" I felt the fear in him and I jumped out of bed. I took one step and my leg tensed up shooting pain up it and I fell. "Roman, are you ok?"

"I'm ok. Virgil. I was sleeping." I gave him this confused look and heard as he started walking over. He picked me up and I latched on to him. I was scared. So very scared... I felt him lay us both back on the bed and I refused to let go of his arm.

"You sounded like you were hurt. I was scared. I didn't... I didn't hurt you did I?" I felt him tense up and hug me tighter as I started to shake. I was using my fire... and I didn't even know he was there. I could've hurt him. If he hadn't calmed me down... I don't even know what damage I would have caused.

"No. Virgil, you didn't hurt me. I really am ok. I swear it." I could feel my eyes well up and I groaned at the burning in my throat.

"I'm sorry." I felt him brush my hair out of my face and I smiled leaning into his touch."I didn't know you were there." He pulled away and I frowned. "I just... I got angry and... and I..."

"Hey. Hey now don't worry. I'm ok. Patton's ok. You're ok. Nobody got hurt." Patton was there too?! I could've... What the fuck?! I hate this so much. "Virgil? I know we never really spoke about our pasts. And I know there are things you might not want me to know but..." I couldn't help but tense up. He's never even tried to ask me about my past. That was something I loved about him. He didn't care. "Why don't you like Emile?"

"Who?" Who the hell is Emile? "I don't know who that is?"

"Emile Picani? He was the man you were attacking earlier." My eyes went wide and I pulled away from him in shock. So that was the man that that smelt like smoke and metal. He's the one that reminded me of Father. "He was the one I had asked for help from."

"I didn't... I don't know... He just..." I took a deep breath melting into his scent and pulled my knees up, hugging myself. "I didn't know who he was. He just... I smelt smoke... and metal... I smelt him... I couldn't..." I just stared off into the black in total shock. I could hear his voice. Hear him telling me how disappointed he was. I couldn't stop shaking. "All I could smell was that. Smoke and metal. Burning... burning..." I gripped my hair so hard I nearly pulled it out as everything just got louder. Suddenly I was Romans' arms and all I could hear was his heartbeat. "Father... I can't, Roman. I can't do it."

"I'm here, Virgil." I held on to him as he laid back, pulling me in closer. "I'm not going anywhere. I promise." You can't promise that. No one can ever promise that. Besides. You're human Roman... And I'm a dragon. I will outlive you. It's just fact. "Rest, hun. You need to save your strength to heal."

"What's about our date?" I felt him pull back slightly to look at me and I started to blush. "You promised. Anywhere and Anything that I wanted, we would do together."

"When you all healed. Until then... please. rest."