Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen:

Nathan's POV:

"How come you're always here?" The words fell from my lips before I was able to think about how harsh it sounded, I quickly recovered however. "I mean-- not like it's a bad thing, don't get me wrong I love being with you but it's just you always seem afraid to go home and you spend most of your time here."

I pulled at the hem of my t-shirt - a nervous habit of mine - I was afraid that he'd be angry of me asking such a personal question, he never liked speaking of him home life he always skilfully and carefully avoided the subject like he was hiding something - I shook my head at my stupid thought it was obvious he was hiding something. This was probably the first time that I had just come right out and asked him. Everyday Tom would be at my house and he wouldn't leave till late, it felt like he was avoiding something at home.

Tom shrugged. "I just prefer it here."

He looked at me and sighed, I guess he could tell I wanted more. "My parents aren't a big fan of mine, my older brother is the star of the family and I'm the disappointment. They don't care about me, they don't love me either if I'm annoying you with being here all the time I can go to Max's or Siva's."

I shook my head. "No, you can stay here Tom. I care about you and so do your friends, so don't feel like anyone doesn't care about you Tom." I held his hand in one of my own whilst my other hand brushed away his tears that were sliding down his face leaving tracks in its wake.

"I'm glad I have you Nathan." Tom sniffled.

"I'm glad I have you too." I admitted.

* * *

Tom had a football match today after school which he had invited me to go to, I told him yes and then asked if I could bring Jay along he scowled at the mention of Jay and I frowned. I then gave him an ultimatum: it was either Jay comes with me or I don't go at all.

I didn't really want to go as I had quite a lot of homework to finish off but to be honest I'd hopefully get to see Tom all sweaty which was much better than staying in and doing homework.

"Why I do have to come?" Jay whined.

"To keep me company." I replied.

"Yeah, while you gawk at Tom for 90 minutes." I rolled my eyes at him.

We made it to the field at the back of the school and sat on the seats that were set up around the 'pitch' most people were stood up however and I could already tell that I would soon lose myself into the game and would be stood up too screaming and shouting. Jay was sat slumped on his seat whilst I sat upright, alert for when the two teams come out. It wasn't long until the players came out and I smiled and waved at Tom who did the same back. When everyone was ready and in their positions the referee blew the whistle and the match began.

Like I had said I did end up getting a little too carried away with the match and I did catch Jay shouting out in annoyance when the opposing team had the ball. Luckily, our school was winning 3-1 and the best thing was the school we were playing with was our school's rival.

The referee blew his whistle and half-time was announced, saying that both teams had 10 minutes resting time. I wanted to go Tom and congratulate him on how good he was playing but I decided that I'd wait 'till after the game plus there was too many people in the way.

"I'll be back in a minute Nathan I just need a piss." I cringed at Jay's crudity but nodded nonetheless.

I kept my eyes on Tom, he - as I expected - looked sweaty and hot. I decided that I might as well go and say a quick hello to him as the people in front of me had cleared up a bit. I walked the short way to where Tom stood but a certain someone had beat me to it, pushing me out the way, and had reached Tom before me. I frowned ready to speak my mind but froze as I watched the scene unfold in front of me.

It was Kelsey.

Kelsey was the person who had shoved me to get Tom.

And

And. And. And. It was Kelsey who was now kissing Tom.

And I started to step backwards as I realised that Tom was kissing back. They didn't seem to stopping anytime soon either. My lungs burned and my chest ached and my stomach felt heavy and my heart seemed to stop beating. Everything began to spin and I could feel bile bubbling up in my stomach getting ready to rise up my throat and to be projected out. I hastily wiped at my eyes that leaked salt water and span round and began running out of the field, through the school and out of the gates.

I didn't start sobbing until the school was a good distance away from me and I could barely see it - I don't know if that was because of the tears or because I was far away - my body shook and my breathing was quick, as if I was having a panic attack.

How could have I been so stupid to believe that after just one date that would mean me and Tom were together and he didn't see me as just a fling like every other girl he's been with. He's Tom Parker, the school player he'll never be serious enough to get into a proper relationship. Him and Kelsey was the only closest thing to a relationship Tom will ever get to.

I was just stupid.

I was even more stupid for having feelings for the school player whom made it seem like he cared about me.

But that's what players do. They play you. They fake feelings and pretend to care so you are putty in their hands and once they're bored, they throw you away and move on to others. I sighed, I should really distance myself away from Tom so I wouldn't get any deeper into this mess.

However, I was afraid that I was already in too deep.

First of all thank you so much for 2k reads! That's amazing and crazy, I can't believe this thank you thank you thank you!! Sorry that this is kinda bi-polar, I don't really know how to think about this but I kinda like the ending although I'm really happy at how it's quite long for you all :).

I go back to school a week today god help me, I don't want to go back :( so that means I'm not sure how frequent the updates will be I'm really sorry plus it's my final year in high school so I'll be really busy. Le sigh.

Who's going to fusion festival this weekend? I know I am ^_^

Anyway, I hoped you at least liked the chapter! And thanks again for 2k reads on this book, it means so much to me!! - Talia x.