Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Nathan's POV:

The fact that Tom hasn't been ignoring me since our date was a good sign. I was still on a high from the date and I started to realise how much I liked Tom and I frowned because this isn't what I want, I don't want to like Tom. I don't want to fall for a player but here's me doing the complete opposite.

I smiled when I saw Jay waiting at his usual place at my locker. I quickly hugged him then eyed him suspiciously at his smirk on his face.

"Why do you look suspicious, Jay? What are you up to?" I was still eyeing him.

His smirk was still on his face, reminding me of Tom. Thinking about Tom I hadn't seen him so far today.

"Nothing..." He dragged out. "I was just wondering how your date went with Tom - I can't believe you didn't tell me about it though mister!"

"I'm sorry." I apologised sheepishly. "And it was great! I had so much fun, he took me to a mini fair and it was so cute!"

He mockingly sighed lovingly. I could tell he was teasing me. "Oh young love."

I rolled my eyes.

"You like him don't you?" He then turned serious, speaking barely above a whisper.

I nodded too afraid to speak the words, I felt that it would only make it more real that I had feelings for Tom - which I didn't want.

"Just- I just want you to be careful. I don't want you to get hurt, promise me Nathan that you'll be careful? I know what he's like and I don't this to end badly." He had started babbling and I was worried that he would soon cut short of breath and pass out if he didn't shut up.

I started to laugh which caused him to finally stop talking. "What?" he accused.

I stopped laughing. "Stop babbling."

His face turned red. "Sorry. But promise me that you'll be careful."

"I promise you, Jay. Now stop being so overprotective, I'll be fine!"

I wasn't sure who I was reassuring if I was being honest. But I just hoped that I needn't worry as that Tom had changed.

For my sake at least.

* * *

I didn't have any classes with Tom today so I had barely seen him today. It was now lunch time and Tom was sat with his usual gang at the popular table, when I walked passed after getting my lunch Tom had waved me over and told me to sit with him but I shook my head. Kelsey was there and I didn't want to deal with her making comments about me - I knew she didn't like me but she could at least be discreet about it.

I sat down with Jay and began poking at my food. I looked over at where Tom was sat - a big mistake - he was laughing with Kelsey, and getting a little too close to her for my liking. The food that I had been excited to eat was no longer appatesising.

"Nath?" Jay asked snapping me out of my thoughts. "Are you alright?"

I nodded swallowing back the guilty feeling of lying to Jay. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"I'm not really hungry, actually Jay I think I'll go to the library." I stood up, grabbing my bag and tyre before muttering a goodbye to Jay who looked at me sadly and walked away and dumped my tray not bothering to clean it up.

Whilst I was walking to the library I had a strange feeling that someone was following me, I just shrugged it off. Telling myself that it was nothing; that I was just imagining it, it was just me being paranoid. I sighed as I reached the library, it was somewhere where I could escape reality and forget about everything just for a little.

I sat down and grabbed the book I was currently reading from my bag - it was called looking for Alaska. I was part way through it but I was already loving it. John Green was probably my favourite author, his words were so captivating - although if most of his books were soppy romance I still enjoyed it.

"Hello sunshine."

All the anger that I had in me from what I had seen at lunch had slipped away all from the simple pet name he had given me. I don't really know why I was so angry, it was all probably something that I had overthought and dramatised inside my mind.

I probably read to many fiction books, I thought.

I put my book down and looked up at Tom, his infamous smirk present. "Tom! You scared me! Can I... No it's stupid, forget it."

"Sorry sweetheart." He smiled leaning over and kissing me, I was too shocked to kiss back. "I'm sure it's not stupid, what do you want to ask?"

"What are we? There. That's what I want to know. I'm so confused like we went on a date on Saturday and today you were laughing and smiling and Kelsey and I just-" Tom cut me off. He kissed me.

And this time I kissed him back, and another thing: I enjoyed it.

The kiss didn't last as long as I'd have liked but I guess it was better than nothing.

"I want us to be together." There was no smirk on his face, he seemed serious about this. I just hoped it wasn't a poker face. "What do you want us to be?"

"I want us to be together too."