(01) Popular Girls Finish Last

Slamming her expensively groomed fingernails onto the computer keyboard in front of her, Hayley frustratingly rattled her brain as she searched online for new ideas.

Hayley Williams, one of the most popular girls in school, happened to have a thing for writing. Popular and intelligent? It was a pretty rare gift.

Surrounding Hayley in her classroom were nerds and that was about it. She was certainly a red thumb in the subject but it never bothered her. There was only one dream for Hayley and it was to become a professional writer.

Walking into the English classroom was Jenna, Hayley's best friend. Jenna had just skipped out on her own French lesson with some pretty important news to share - it totally couldn't wait.

Turning at the sound of the chair beside her moving, Hayley raised an eyebrow at Jenna. The girl wasn't meant to be in the room and quite frankly Hayley really needed to be concentrating on her next article.

"Why aren't you in French class?" Hayley puzzled the blonde beside her, though her eyes were still fixed to the computer screen in front of her. "I'm really keen to get this work done."

"This is an emergency" Jenna whined, slumping down in her seat. Folding her arms over her chest, she went on. "You're my best friend, I need advice!"

Hayley figured that nothing too important really happened to Hayley. Skipping class wasn't unusual for the pair for starters. Still, it was Hayley's duty as a best friend to hear the girl out.

Jenna lifted Hayley's hands away from the computer keyboard, which her friend hadn't stopped hammering down on since she arrived. "Listen, I mean it. It's a real emergency."

"The cafeteria stopped supplying carb-free lunches?" Hayley poked her tongue out at the blonde beside her, before quickly becoming a little more serious. "Ok, I'll try my best to help you with whatever this is, but I really have to get my work done."

Jenna nodded slowly as the girl beside her spoke. Her best friend had always been into writing, but lately she'd taken it to an entire new level. Hayley would even spend lunch breaks in the classroom rather than hanging out with the jocks - that really showed her determination.

Grabbing her compact mirror from her pocket, Jenna checked herself out. Letting out a long sigh, she felt defeated.

"Only two guys asked me to the prom... Has something happened to me? Have I gotten ugly? I don't understand..." Jenna trailed off, speaking as she looked at her reflection.

Hayley watched as Jenna picked at her face and so-called flaws. Hayley had given her friend enough self-love talks in the past but yet the pressure of high school always got to her.

Speaking of such problem, it was exactly what Hayley had been spending the lesson researching further upon.

Another rarity when it came to being a popular girl was giving a damn about everyone else. For Hayley, it was a quality that made her even more idolised.

Jenna took a look at the girl beside her and examined her. Hayley was a fiery redhead, which guys seemed to drool over, meanwhile Jenna was just jealous of how shiny her hair was.

It wasn't just Hayley's well looked after hair though. It was her fifty dollar sparkly manicures, brand new clothes and perfect skin that made her so enviable.

Hayley waved her arm around in front of her friend, wondering why Jenna had been staring at her for such an awkward length of time.

"Jenna, you are beautiful, you don't need a guy to take you to the prom" Hayley simply stated with a shrug. Noticing her friend didn't budge, she smiled. "Ok, fine. Tell me who they were at least."