Chapter six

Tamel drummed his fingers on the hard wooden desk with the look of annoyance and boredom.

“Are we about done here? I got better places to be and more bitches to mack,” he said smugly looking at the two detectives in front of him on the opposite side of the table sitting down.

“You think you’re so slick,” the detective to his right said, badge read Thompson. “Look, we know you were there that day and we know you popped Jaheim Brookes alias Bundles. You did it in broad daylight like a damn rated R hood movie. I mean in front of the man’s wife and kid. That was cold and heartless.”

Tamel showed no emotion on his face except the fact he was getting real bored of this interrogation.

“You think we don’t know it was you,” the detective on his right said, badge read Knight. “Oh, you think nobody will testify because you’re big bad Melodrama. Well, guess what, we got a witness and a damn good one too. Creditable too. No priors. Only downside is that this person chose to deal with a lowlife that you helped kill. So you’re not skating off of this one.”

“Look, Tamel, let’s make a deal,” Thompson said. “We know you did. Damn, the whole block know you did it. Just come clean and we’ll see if we can get the judge to show leniency. I mean we know all about Brookes’ dealings. We know he was a threat to you. You had to do what you had to do so he wouldn’t get to you. I totally understand. Even if you did it in front of his wife and kid, he had to go, right?”

Tamel just smiled and started his drumming his fingers against the table again.

“You think this shit is a game?” Knight asked tossing a manila folder at Tamel across the table. “Look, at that shit. That’s your murdered buddy. That’s your handy work. You think I give a fuck why you did it? I know you did it so does half a block. And they’re going to start coming out one by one to finger you out. You’re going to be convicted so fast, they’re already setting up your bed at Rikers.”

Tamel just rolled his eyes and drummed his fingers again.

“You won’t be so smug when you in the cold cell, 23 hour lockdown,” Knight predicted. “And just for kicks, I’ll make sure all your rivals end up on the same tier as you. I’ll arrange the paperwork myself to make sure that happens. You’re going to be the official butt buddy of your tier. Guaranteed.”

Tamel took a deep breath and looked at Thompson for the follow up.

“Look, give it up, we got you dead to rights,” Thompson came in on cue. “You know you’re not going to get that much time because of who you killed and the nature of what he was. You did us a huge favor. Just make it easier on yourself. We aren’t going to go hard over this.”

“What I got to say?” Tamel figured he’ll play along until it was time for him to go. Minds well have some fun.

Thompson smiled.

“Just tell me what happened that day,” Thompson said. ‘In your own words, of course. From wherever you want to start at.”

Tamel leaned back in the hard steel chair that he was sitting on.

“Okay, I do have a confession to make,” Tamel said. “You said you would talk to the judge about leniency?”

Thompson nodded, trying to hold back his grin.

There was a tape recorder on the desk as well that Tamel noticed Thompson was itching towards.

“For the record,” Thompson said then hit record.