Chapter 8: Calling Family

x~X~x

I hop around on a set of crutches in my room. It's been about three weeks since the accident and I think that I've been under watch because those eyes that I use to feel staring at me have returned. I spent most of my days exercising my upper body while waiting for my leg to heal, the doc said that I should be able to start walking around on it with a boot on in maybe another three weeks depending on how well the leg has healed. 

A knock on my door pulls me from my work-out, I drop from my pull-up bar that's fastened to my bathroom door, onto my good leg. I grab my crutches and make my way to my door, once open the one that's standing there is someone that I wasn't expecting to see, Daniel was standing there. I'm not in suitable attire so I just stand up straight and hope that he'll excuse the fact that I'm only wearing a white tank top and black gym shorts. 

"Your Highness," I give the best bow that I can with crutches, "what is it that you need?" 

He seems shocked by something so I question him again, "Your Highness? Is there something that you require?" 

"Um," he shakes his head slightly, "I just came to see how you are coming along with recovery." he eyes my whole body, "From the looks of thing you are doing just fine." 

"I - Yes, your Highness. My recovery is coming along fine, I can't put tons of weight on my leg yet, but it does get lonesome and boring doing nothing so I work-out." 

"Are you sure that is okay?" He seems worried, but I ignore it.

"Yes, it's fine. I just can't work out my legs." I just stand there like an idiot. Do I invite him in? Should I come up with an excuse to make him leave? Should I mention the kiss he gave me?

"So what brings you here Daniel?" So I guess that I'm just gonna stand here like an idiot and talk to him.

"Like I said I just wanted to see how you were recovering." Still standing there

"Okay, well um, I need to go shower and get some rest before dinner gets delivered."

"Ah, yes. Rest. You need that," he steps out of the door frame, "I might visit you again soon." 

I say my goodbye and close my door, I heard from Erik that Daniel has been acting strange since the incident happened, he's still been doing his work and all he just seems more dazed than normal. I decided that after my shower that I'll call my family and let them know that I'm letting them have my house in the city. 

After my shower, I feel rejuvenated, and alive again. I hobble over to my bed and plop down right on it, I pull my laptop out of its bag next to the bed. I start to video call my parents, I know that when they answer they'll call my sister down to talk also. They answer quickly and they can instantly tell that something is off. 

"Are you at home?" Mother.

"Did you get more manly?" Father.

"That's not your house, where are you?" Sister.

I sigh and answer all their questions, "No, I'm not at home. Yes, I've been working out for the past seven or so months. And as for where I'm at," I pause, I know that I can tell them I just never mentally prepared myself for this, "I'm at the castle working as a personal butler to the fourth prince." 

Silence. They say nothing, then my sister starts to laugh, "If you're at the castle then prove it, show me the view, show the room you're in." she leans in toward the camera, "Prove it." She has that sound in her voice like she caught me in a lie. 

I sigh, "Give me a second." I move around on the bed till I'm sitting on the edge of the bed and grab a single crutch and push myself to my feet. 

"Honey, what happened to your leg?" My mother's worried voice pulls at my heart. 

"I don't know if I can tell you that, but it happened at work. At sis, here is your proof." I pull back the curtain in my room, revealing the front entrance of the castle. The setting sun giving the trees and grounds a beautiful pinkish color. My room is more set back and the sides of the building cut off the full view. 

"That doesn't prove much, show me the room now." My sister's voice has changed from 'I don't believe you at all' to 'okay, so it might be true'. I spin on my good foot to show them the room then I hobble my way to my desk near my door. I sit in my chair just as there is a knock on the servant's entrance. 

"Come in." I lean my head back so they can hear me, I spin in my chair and see Mary, one of the maids, come into my room with a tray of food. 

"Hey Mary, just set the food over here please." I gesture to my desk, "Also could you tell my family that this is the royal castle and I work here." 

"Hello. Your son does work here, he even saved the prince's life a few weeks ago." Her voice is quiet and timid, but she manages to get the sentence out loud enough for my family to hear. 

"Thank you, Mary." She bows and heads out of the room. 

"You're the staff member that saved the prince?" My sister's voice is loud and clear.

"What do you mean?" 

"It was on the news about two weeks ago. It said that there were an attempt on the fourth Prince's life, but he was saved by one of the staff members. They never said who the staff member was, only that he was injured and the man was caught." 

"I never knew that it was on the news, but yes, I was the one that saved him. The assassin tried to use one of the bookshelves in the library to kill him, but I pushed him out of the way and in turn, I was the one that was trapped under the shelf. I ended up breaking my leg in the process." 

They stay silent for a good minute before I break the silences, "So, I originally called you to tell you that you can have my house. I live in the castle now, but I was told that I could keep my house until I decided what to do with it." 

We spent the next few hours talking about the little details. 

x~X~x