Chapter 3: Learning the Ropes

I know that I should have said so sooner but better late than never, right?  Okay, well I'm kinda mixing medieval and modern together, so some things like cell phones do exist but are almost never used. Cars, on the other hand, are used more often, oh, and guns don't really exist. I don't really like them so I will have weapons like swords and bows. 

x~X~x

I wake up, sore as can be, and sit up on the edge of my new bed. I look at the clock on the wall, five in the morning, I have some time. I slip on some gym shorts and start a quick twenty-minute workout routine when my alarm on my phone signals the end of the workout session I quickly make my way to the shower. 

I'm only in the shower for less than five minutes, because I already washed up thoroughly last night and all I've done this morning is do a little working out. I look at myself in the mirror for the first time in a week, I don't see any change in how I look yet, but with how my life is going at the moment I should start seeing changes within the next month or so. 

When I get back into my room I notice the smell of french toast, eggs, and bacon. I look around my huge room to see a plate sitting on a long fancy dresser. I go over to it and see a note on the tray, it says that when I finish the food I can leave the tray and someone will collect it later. I look at the clock, only five thirty, I can eat and finish getting ready, and meet Erik at the meeting point before six. 

I quickly speed walk through the servant halls all the way to the front of the castle. Thankfully I didn't get lost on the way because they put up signs in the halls. I open the door, look both ways, then exit. I've only been here two full days and I already know what I should do when I exit a servants door. 

"Right on time." I look to see Erik standing at the front door with a pocket watch in hand, "You are very punctual Adrian." 

He starts to walk down the hall to the kitchen and I follow him. I decide to ask him a question.

"What to servants do when they hear a conversation that they should not have?" 

He stops in his tracks and turns to me. 

"Why do you ask this? Unless you have heard something."

I quickly shake my head no, "No I haven't. I was about to, but I left before I heard anything." 

"Good," he nods at me, "and to answer your question," we begin to walk again, "we don't say anything. Even if we do overhear something, we take it to the grave." 

We arrive at the kitchen not much later to pick up the breakfast trays for the royal family. 

"I thought that I wasn't to see the royal family until you and Amelia deem me ready?" 

"I never said that you were going to be the one to give them the trays. You just stand in the hall until we leave for the next room." 

I just nod and follow behind him in silence. We go in order from oldest to youngest, starting with the King and Queen, first prince Troy O'Connor, second prince Dean O'Connor, the third prince Donovan O'Connor, but when we reach the fourth prince Daniel O'Connor the door opens as we arrive. 

"Your Highness." Erik doesn't miss a beat and bows to him, and I quickly follow his lead.

"Your Highness." 

"I will be eating in the library today. I can take my tray myself. Just come get it later." 

"Yes, your highness." Erik quickly takes the tray from me and hands it to him.

As he leaves we both bow again to him as he walks down the hall. 

"Come on Adrian, we still have one more member to deliver food to." Erik walks off and I follow, the only the sound of wheels and dishware fill the silence. 

x~X~x

I didn't see Daniel again the rest of the day, but for the rest of the day, I felt eye's staring holes into the back of my head. 

I roll out of the way of Amelia's attack then go for her legs while they're vulnerable. I succeed in knocking her to the ground. 

"Yield." I tower over her and hold the wooden sword over her chest. She just smiles and kicks my leg out from under me, then quickly climbing on top of me holding her own inches above my heart. I try to throw her off but she's sitting on me and even though I can move my hands, she could kill me in one strike if it was a real sword. 

"I think it is you who should yield to me." Cheers erupt from around us. 

"I yield." She helps get up off the ground, "It looks like you have fans." I pant after getting it out. 

"No, these people are not for me," she looks around, "they're here for you. It's only your third day fighting against me and you already have knocked me down while I was going easy on you." We walk over to the water cooler and pull out bottles of water. "You might surpass me within a few short months if you keep up like this." 

I feel my confidence soar. I am a really fast learner, so only having to fight her is a big disadvantage for her. Now if I had to fight different people every day then I might be in trouble, and as if she has read my thought she calls out to the people watching, "Would you guys like to have a shot at the newbie? Grab a sword and line up, also we'll be doing this every day from nine to ten so tell everyone."

I glare at her. I know that she only has my best interest at heart, but she's going to kill me. 

x~X~x

After this chapter, there will be a six month time skip. I'll give you a short run down about the small happenings. 

So Adrian passes the butler test after three months and grows really close to Erik and thinks of him as a father. With the swords training he can pretty much beat all the smaller ranking soldiers, but not Amelia, he also grew close to her and thinks of her as a sister.