Chapter 13: Party Time

x~X~x

The day of the party has finally arrived. I walk down the hall as quickly as I can with this boot on my leg trying to deliver lunch to the family. Daniel told me that I could deliver his food last after I  take the cart back to the kitchen. I stand at his door and knock on the door. I stand there for only a few seconds before the door opens up to reveal Daniel with just a robe on and wet hair. 

"I'm sorry sir, it seems that I have interrupted something." I bow my head in apology. 

"No, you did not interrupt anything, I just got out of the shower when you knocked. Come on in." He motions for me to enter with his tray of food. As soon as the door is shut though we both change the way we act. 

"Any more letters?" Daniel's voice became cold and emotionless. He had found out about the letters after the third one when he saw it on my desk and then demanded to know if there was more. I ended up telling him and showing him the letters and he got really mad at me. 

"Another one this morning." I just shrug my shoulders, hoping that he'll drop it. I don't want to talk to him about what this one said.

"What was in this one?" I can feel his eyes burning holes into my head. I sigh.

"Well," I rub the back of my head, "this one was more detailed about what will happen to me if I'm not gone tonight." 

"And?" He drags the single word out, digging for more answers. I don't want to talk about what it says, so I just pull today's letter out of my coat and hand it to him. I can see the rage in his eyes as he reads what they plan on doing to me. As he reads that they'll beat me beyond being identifiable, how they'll burn my hands and face, then how they plan on dumping my body in a lake so no one can find it. Then finally that the assassination of the fourth prince would be blamed on me. 

I felt a hot tear run down my face as I remember what all the letter says. I don't think anyone that knows me believes that I could even hurt a fly, let alone the prince considering they all think that I love him. Well, they're not wrong, even I believe that I love him that's why I could never hurt him on purpose. 

I think that he likes me too, but I don't think I'll ever ask him. I hear him walk over to the window and breath out heavily, I take these few seconds to wipe the lone tear off of my face before he turns around. 

"I'm sorry," he turns to me with a hurt look on his strong face, "if you want to leave for the night I'm okay with that." I walk up to him and smile at him. 

"You invited me to your party weeks ago, before the letters even started. I also told you that I would go as both your butler and your friend." His face softens at my words and then he smiles at me. 

"I'll let you come tonight, only if you promise that you will stay in the main ballroom area with all the people." 

"Fine. I'll find my family and stay with them." I look at a small mantle clock, "I must be going now. I have things to prepare before tonight." I leave the room, a professional look taking over my features. 

"I will send someone later to collect the dishes." I bow at him.

"Very well. You may leave." Daniel waves me off and I take my leave. 

x~X~x

People come pouring into the castle with many different styles of clothes. The only people that I believe to have normal clothes on is my family, who I am currently with. We are near the stairs so that way when Daniel comes out I can assist him if need be, but right now he wants me to stay with family. Another butler comes down the stairs and whispers into my ear saying one of the princes are waiting for me in their room. 

Right after I walk up the stairs and through the huge double doors I am met by Daniel.

"Where are you going?" He doesn't seem that mad at me just surprised to see me here. 

"One of your brothers want to see me. Apparently, their butler took the night off and he needs someone to run an errand for him." I just shrug at him glancing over his shoulder. 

"Before you go I want to give you something." I look back at him and see him moving in close and fast enough that I have no time to react. 

He pushes his fat lips against mine and brings his hands up to the sides of my head. He gets into the kiss while I just stand there with no words or reaction. I didn't even notice that he left and entered the ballroom until the loud cheers of the people snapped me out of my trance. I need to think, but I have my job to do so I'll think about it after I'm done for the night. 

I reach the door to the room and I knock on the door. I hear a familiar voice tell me to come in so I open the door, I don't even get the chance to see who called me into the room as I fall to the floor holding my stomach, trying not to black out. I move my eyes up to look at the face of the man that did this to me, and I recognize him fast. 

He's the man that tried to kill Daniel and broke my leg all that time ago. I stand up, be it shakingly, but I stand to face him, My reactions are slow so I don't notice the fist fly into my face and knock me back near a chair. 

"We warned what would happen to you if you stayed for the night," I open my eyes to see who's talking, "Although, either way, you will get blamed for what happens tonight." My vision finally stops spinning and I can see who it is clear as day. 

The third royal prince of this country, Prince Donovan.  

x~X~x