Chapter- 14

"So the thing about Mason..." I said slowly. "I know I told you that he was shot, but there's more to it than that. A lot more."

"Tyler-"

"No. Just listen because this isn't going to happen again." I interrupted him before he could stop me. "Um, it was two years ago. Me, my mom, and Mason lived in Oklahoma. It was a pretty nice house in a pretty nice neighborhood. My dad's child support is through the roof so he doesn't have to talk to us or see us and he's loaded. Anyway, I was fifteen and I had a boyfriend, his name was Andrew. I really loved that kid. We were dating for about two and a half years when it happened. I was babysitting Mason, he was five and we were home alone. He talked me into building a fort, and we were almost done, we just had to put on the roof when the doorbell rang when Mason was in the bathroom. I didn't even look to see who it was because I just assumed it was Andrew, he would always just pop up randomly sometimes, especially when he knew my parents weren't home. So I opened the door, but I didn't get a chance to see who it was because somebody punched me and I fell onto the couch. When I got back on my feet, three big, scary looking guys were in front of me, just glaring at me. I tried to ask them who they were or what they wanted but they wouldn't speak. When Mason came back into the room, I told him to run. But when he tried, one of the men grabbed him, and another one grabbed me from behind. The man started taking Mason down the hallway so I screamed for him. I kicked the guy that was holding me and he fell. I ran towards Mason but another man punched me. I got back up and started running again. I heard him. I heard him screaming for me. He was so scared. The third guy grabbed me so I just kept screaming for Mason. We just kept screaming for each other. I eventually got away from the third man because he was kind of smaller than the other two. I got into the room just in time to see the man shoot Mason in the head. Three times. I ran over to Mason's body and I cried over him. I got his blood all over me. The guy raised his gun to me but then one of them spoke. He said not to shoot me because they had the wrong house. They talked for a few minutes before they ran out of the house. Turns out, the people that lived a few houses down owed money to the wrong people but they got the address wrong..." That's when I let out a choked sob and let the tears fall down my face. "They got the fucking address wrong."

I didn't notice that Dyson had lifted me up and placed me on his lap in the recliner while I cried into his warm hoodie. He didn't say a word, he just soothingly patted my back. In fact, I cried on Dyson's chest until I cried myself to sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I woke up to the movement of somebody's chest below my head. My soggy eyes fluttered open and looked up to see Dyson looking past me and at something in the distance, probably just thinking. He was absent mindedly running his fingers through my messy hair as I tried to decide what to say to break the silence.

"I've never told anybody that before." I finally said, not looking up to meet his gaze. I made firm eye contact with the dark red recliner on the other side of the showcase so that I wouldn't look up to see Dyson's expression.

He was quiet for a long moment as I held my breath, waiting for him to speak. "You didn't have to tell me." He said softly.

"I think I did." I said softly.

"Why?" He asked, continuing to pet my hair softly.

I shrugged and kept my head rested on his chest, listening to his short breaths. "I don't know."

"Let's take a walk." He whispered, swiftly standing us both up on our feet.

I didn't object so he took my hand in his and we started walking. He led me out of the freezing cold Macy's and then down the hallway around the mall. We walked in silence for a long time, keeping my hand in his. It was completely beyond me how his hand was still incredibly warm even in this subzero air. It made no sense. But I didn't complain because I loved the feel of my hand in his.