CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE: You're Somebody Else

I wipe away the condensation fogging up the mirror in front of me. I look at the reflection, me, hair wet hanging down low, those same color eyes. This feels like Déjà vu. My mind wonders-- playing the scene of what happened yesterday. Leon. Lucas. They both left me on my own. Leon whispered in my ear, "I'll see you in a few days" Where could he be going? Did Ada have something new for him that he had to just leave? At that moment I wanted to ask him if I could go with him-- but..I didn't, I don't know why. My hand weakly grabs my hairbrush--bringing it to my roots to detangle the knots in my hair.

Does this mean I don't need protection anymore? 

Lucas. God. The expression on his face-- that stung me quite a bit. He was genuinely hurt-- when that happened-- I didn't know what to say or to think. 

(Y/n)- "Damn it" I say through gritted teeth. I honestly don't know how I'm going to face Lucas later when I get to work. Once the tangles were out of my hair, I set the brush down. My throat suddenly felt a sharp stab-- no other choice but to cough out. I cup my hands together to cover my mouth. Each cough was dry-- and painful to endure. The coughing attack stopped-- swallowing the needle like pain down my throat. My eyes looked down at my cupped hands, there in splatters all over was blood. My blood. My body sends shivers up and down my spine-- feeling numb at the sight of it. In panic-- I turn on the faucet, hot or cold it doesn't matter. I wanted to wash off the blood from my hands. The water happens to be cold-- I take the soap that stands next to the sink-- forgetting the scent, I take more amount than needed to wash my hands from the blood. My hands were starting to feel numb-- the tips of my fingers were frozen. I shut the faucet off-- examining my hands making sure no trace of my blood behind. Nothing-- nothing left. I look up into the reflection, my color in my skin was pale. 

My body gets shivers again, this all feels too familiar. 

(Time Skip) 

I adjusted my vest, clipping it in place-- ready for work. I've been trying to drag as long as possible,  I even called Tanner if I could take a sick day but he said he needed me to be in. Well, time to face the music. I shut my locker and exited out the locker room, my ears are clouded with phones ringing and people shifting papers around. I fake a smile across my face to passing by officers, some friendly ones and some not. Great, what did I do now? 

(Niko)- "Hey!" Niko came from around a corner-- walking beside me, heading in the same direction to get to the common room. 

(Y/n)- "Hey." I tried not to sound eccentric. Otherwise he'll catch on with my current mood. Which is this quiet, and slightly bothered. 

(Niko)- "How was last night, your date with Lucas go well?" He nudges my elbow, I give him a raised brow and a smirk. I didn't know what say, or how to explain the situation I'm in. 

(Niko)- "Not going to give me details? Look there's Lucas now-- He'll tell me" he's right-- there he is. Standing just a few feet away from my desk. I gaze at him from head to toe, His jeans were a perfect fit-- not to skinny, not to baggy. Black button down with it tucked into his jeans, sleeves rolled up to mid forearms. His police vest was strapped on, giving him more of an edge. His hair was perfectly styled-- always making him stand out in the entire room. I look over who he was talking to, auburn short hair, thin with curves. Brooke. She's the flirt of the station, so I've been told.To top it off--she made it clear she was into him. Just her looking at him poked my nerves a little bit. 

He laughs at something she said, Brooke pretending to flip long hair she doesn't have. She playfully slaps his arm, her hand lingering a bit too long. He smiles at her-- the way he smiles towards me-- er--everyone. Why do I care?  He looks to wrist--looking at the time on his watch, He probably has somewhere to be. He leaves her as he walks away-- heading towards Niko and I. Shit-- I divert my eyes to look at something else. 

(Lucas)- "Hey, Niko" he greets as he passes us. Niko caught on, a puzzled look on his face. He stopped in his tracks but I continued on heading straight to my desk. Niko's footsteps approached my desk-- with a frowned brow. 

(Niko)-" What the hell was that?" 

(Y/n)- " What?" I say like it didn't slightly bother me.

(Niko)- "He said Hi to me-- but he completely ignored you next to me" I shrugged and pulled my desk chair out for me to sit on, scooting in-- turning on my computer monitor to get some work done. 

(Niko)- "What happened between the two of you?" He asked as he sat at the corner of my desk. 

(Y/n)-" Nothing." 

(Niko)- "What-- no, that is not nothing. What? Was the date a flop?" 

(Y/n)- " The date never happened" I fiddled with a pen, waiting for everything to load up on my screen.

(Niko)- "Okay-- so what? He didn't show or you?" 

(Y/n)- "No-- umm..." I try to trail off.

(Niko)- "Well..?" 

(Y/n)- "God-- can't believe I'm gonna tell you this, but uh-- Leon kissed me...in front of Lucas" I pursed my lips, I look to my screen and typed my password in to login. Niko had his eyebrows furrowed and a curious thought brewing in his mind.

(Y/n)- "What?"

(Niko)- "Are you and Leon a thing?" My eyebrow twitched.

Only in my dreams.

(Y/n)- " No"

(Niko)- " Has he kissed you before?"

(Y/n)- " What are you getting at, Niko?"

(Niko)- "The way I see it, Leon was marking his territory." My brows furrow --lips slightly smirking. What? Leon's not that type to do something like that. 

(Y/n)- "What-- no he's not" I roll my eyes with a scoff. 

(Niko)- " Trust me-- It's a guy thing" He smirks with a click of his tongue. 

(Niko)- "Party-- coming up, you still going?"

(Y/n)- "Hmm." I was suppose to go with Lucas, as partners-- but now I'm not so sure.

(Niko)- "Weren't you going with Lucas?" He point his thumb over his shoulder.

(Y/n)- "Mhmm." 

(Niko)- "So I take it, you're out-- and Brooke is in?" 

(Y/n)- "Go" I lightly chuckle pointing for Niko is leave me in peace. He laughs raising his hands up . Once he was gone-- I had some time to think. Lucas is ignoring me, Leon is gone...temporary, I hope. I take in a deep breath in and let it out slowly, I look to Lucas's desk, empty and neat. I don't think he's going to be talking to me for a while. 

(Y/n)- " Oh no.." I mumbled under my breath. Tomorrow is our riding day-- great. That should be fun.