CHAPTER TEN: Month One

(One Month Later) 

Sitting at my desk--typing away, letters appearing on the screen. I rub my eyes feeling them get watery from not blinking for a while. Shit-- I hate when that happens. My back leans on the back of the chair, my nose inhales and exhales. My arms stretch up, hearing a crack in my back-- I look back to my screen viewing some documents. What's the point of calling off work if Im just going to end up working from home. 

I look over my shoulder, There spread out on my bed was Major and Cyrano-- cuddled up together. Major's only been here a month and he's already settling in. I grin and lightly chuckle under my breath. He's still a puppy-- but he's growing fast. Tanner comes by once in a while to check on major-- but I have a feeling he's not coming by to check on him. I can tell Tanner wants to ask questions-- but he knows I wont answer them. It's hard to keep my personal stuff personal-- feels like I'm carrying so much weight on my shoulders. It gets dark sometimes...not being able to tell people about myself, where I come from-- what I've done-- how I survived. I cannot go into detail.  I cannot share really anything. 

It gets lonely sometimes. 

I wonder if this is what its like for him. 

My eyes dart to the clear device. Doing nothing but taking up space. Some part of me-- really wants it to ring, ding-- make any kind of noise...but I know it wont. I shut my eyes-- trying to fight back my emotions. I've gotten pretty good at it. As I open my eye lids slowly, my right hand reaches for the device-- hesitating to grab it. My fingers twitch hovering above it. Why do I torture myself? I clench my fists shut-- pulling back my hand from it. My laptop makes a noise-- a screen popping up a new tab. A sound from an incoming call with the name "Ashley" at the bottom. Ashley-- I haven't spoken to her in a while. I hit a key on the keyboard to answer. The screen displays her image very pixelated before it corrects it to a better quality. 

(Ashley)- " (Y/n)!" the volume was all the way to the max-- my ears and eyes cringe at how loud she was. I lowered the volume on my laptop to at least the lowest setting. 

(Y/n)- "Hey--holy shit Ash. you're pregnant as hell" Ashley had some weight to her face-- all because of the pregnancy. 

(Ashley)- " Okay-- I'm ready for the jokes your gonna make. Come on let me hear them" she giggles and waves her hand for me to give her some jokes. I didn't have any at the moment. 

(Y/n)- " Maybe next time. How's everything-- haven't seen you in a while" 

(Ashley)- " Everythings good, I was going through my stuff and saw a picture of us-- I missed you so I decided to call you" 

(Y/n)- " Miss you too. How's Adam doing?" 

(Ashley)- " He's good too." Everything seems good and normal with her. I stare blankly at the corner of the screen. She's able to get her life in check....graduated college, found a guy-- married and about to have their first child. I didn't want to admit I envy Ashley and Adam's life-- but I like mine-- and the memories I have. 

(Ashley)- " Oh no, whats wrong?" I snapped my head back to look at the screen. 

(Y/n)- " Nothing, why?" 

(Ashley)- " You were blanking out on me. I know how you are. You're thinking about him aren't you?" I chew the inside of my cheek. 

(Y/n)- "No." 

(Ashley)- " (Y/n), you're not getting any younger-- you gotta let that man go. If he cares more about his job than seeing what future he can have with you-- forget about him." 

(Y/n)- "It's not like that Ashley. You know his job is important."

(Ashley)- "I know....but As your best friend, I'm telling you to move on from him and find someone who will give you everything" My chest felt tight-- I don't like those words she chose. She doesn't know what happened between him and I. I don't want to tell her either-- she'll start setting me up on dating profiles and talk to her guy friends about me. It's happened in High school, worst experience of my life.