New Year's Eve (Connor McDonough) for Jaylnn

Jaylnn's POV

"Jaylnn, get down here this instant." my older sister Jaya shouted.

"Okay." I shouted back.

I made my way down the stairs and found Jaya with her boyfriend, Greg. She was dressed in knee length blue casual dress, a black over coat and black boots.

"I'm going to Greg's for Christmas dinner, okay?" she said to me as I reached to last steps.

"How about me? Where am I gonna have my Christmas dinner? You know, you're my only family." I complained. I'm dead serious. I'll probably be alone for Christmas, then again.

"You manage that last year, I guess, you could do it again this year." she retort. "You're old enough to get through that."

"Bu..."

"No buts, Jaylnn." she said before I could even finish the word. "We've got to go. I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Okay." was all I said as I watch Jaya and Greg walk out the house.

Before the door was shut, Jaya shouted, "Your gift is under the tree. Open it now if you want to."

Looks like, I have to spend Christmas alone for the second time now. I don't have other family to be with in the most wonderful time of the year. The family I once had is at the place where our parents was killed because of our older brother.

I'll stop there, I don't want to talk about that, it will just ruin my not so existent holiday spirit. I made my way to our Christmas tree and found a lone present under it. This might be the present Jaya was referring to, I thought. I carefully grab it from under the tree and try to figure out what would be inside it. Jaya is never a person that would give me gifts. After our parents got killed, this is the first time that she took the time to actually get me something. The only thing bothering me is what's inside this.

The last time Jaya and I received a present on Christmas was the day before our dear parents got killed by our very own brother. The present contained the intension of our brother and he's true identity. All along he was the son of the parents that my parents run over a few years back. My parents just took him under their wings because they felt sorry for what happened. Despite it being an accident, my parents thought that is it their responsibility to take care of him. I don't know how John found out about it, but one way or the other, he found out and took it upon him to give justice to his parents' death.

As much as it still hurts to think about that unfaithful night, life must go on. And since then, Jaya and I have lived our lives together and minded our own business. I was so glad that Jaya was already at legal age to take care of me and inherit the house. If she wasn't we won't be were we are today and I won't be here in our house, alone on Christmas eve.

But on a brighter note, at least I received one present this year from my sister. I shrugged the thought of the last present I opened, and slowly but surely opened the present. To say I was shock was an understatement!

Inside the small rectangular box are merchandise from my favorite band and a letter from them and another letter from Jaya. I decided to open Jaya's letter first.

Dear Jay,

I know the past two years was not the best years of our lives, especially to yours. I know I haven't been the best but I always try to make every single day a little easier for both of us. Last Christmas was the first that we shared separate. I cannot stomach the fact that we cannot share Christmas with our parents anymore and staying home for Christmas was just too painful. I know it was for you too. But I was too selfish that I put my emotions first and left you to be in the house for Christmas.