Stoneweaver - Chapter 14

"You're sure about this?" Thortus needed sleep. But with the two manhunts going on, the mobilization causing unrest among the populace, and trying to keep Narvon's pet in check, he barely managed to find any rest. And the girl's murder. He remembered seeing her about, but had never given her much thought.

"The source is reliable," Elgren said. "And he's certain it was Syssarra he saw talking to Trunt a few days ago. I don't doubt his report, but I don't see this as being indicative of anything. We don't even know for sure that Trunt's gang was up to anything other than asserting their independence. It happens now-and-then."

Thortus grunted. The two of them sat alone in the meeting hall. He understood Elgren being defensive of any links between the boy and any rebels, especially given the rumours which had been circulating, but he couldn't allow himself to get sentimental about such things. It could be that the girl was influencing him, that she was responsible for a lot of the rumours. But would he really have killed her if he found out about it? That didn't seem right.

His thoughts drifted again as Farnal, one of his Stoneweavers, edged in the door. Elgren strode over to him. Thortus felt a slight irritation at them conversing privately, but with everything going on he'd reluctantly accepted a lot had to be delegated, and he trusted them to tell him everything he needed to know. The way Elgren received the news drew his attention, and his concern, as his voice almost reached the level where Thortus could make out what was being said.

Dismissing Farnal, Elgren returned to the table with a concerned look. "We've found Trunt and his gang. They're dead."

While not the smartest, Trunt had an animal cunning, and had been tough. Thortus couldn't remember any of his gang, but they wouldn't be the kind so easily disposed of. "All of them?"

"That we know of."

"How."

"It... looks like a Stoneweaver. As there are two on the loose, we can assume it's likely to be one of them."

"Why? Trunt has been acting oddly a while now. Kreddick only arrived a few days ago, and we don't know Welden's been around much longer. And I don't trust Kulth as far as I can see him."

"You think Narvon could be making moves?"

"Or Kulth himself," Thortus said. "Narvon's never seemed interested in more than the steady flow of slaves the current trade supplies him. But I'm more concerned about a threat closer to home."

Elgren sighed. "I honestly doubt the boy could be involved. He's just too bone idle to be bothered."

"Do we know where he's been the last couple of days?" When Elgren seemed reluctant to respond, Thortus raised an eyebrow.

"I sent him out yesterday to intimidate some of the gang members into passing a message along ordering Trunt to meet with you. He couldn't find any of them."

"None? And that doesn't seem suspicious to you?"

"The gang were found in one of their dens, so it's possible they weren't on the streets."

Thortus held his friend's gaze, but Elgren didn't seem inclined to back down, despite the doubt creeping in.

"For all we know it could be one of our other Stoneweavers. For all you know it could be me."

Grunting, Thortus shook his head. "You're the one person I trust. We came up from the streets together, and if you'd wanted my place, you could have taken it years ago. But you've always served loyally. No, ambition's for the young. Do you think any of our other Stoneweavers could have taken out the gang so easily?"

"One or two are probably skilled enough to do so. But I've seen no hints of disloyalty among them."

"That could just mean it's well hidden."

"So how do we reveal it?"

Frowning, Thortus rubbed his head. It had begun to ache. The anxiety of dealing with everything had been growing over the past days. He wondered briefly why he put himself in this position, but knew the answer. Because it was better than the alternative. He'd been born into this world where the only way to ensure your safety, and that of those close to you, was to be the one in power. Anyone else could be sold into slavery any moment, and that danger he wouldn't abide. But he knew he'd taken some kind of joy in his role years ago, which had apparently dissipated over time. Was it just age? A consideration for another time.

"I want you to check the other gangs," he said. "Quietly, but find out if any of them could have been suborned. Trunt may just have been less subtle about it."

Elgren nodded. "And Syssarra? Should we continue looking into her murder?"

"If you can afford someone. It's not as urgent as the rest, but if she was speaking with Trunt then she could have learned something she shouldn't have, and I want to know what."