Stoneweaver - Chapter 37

The slaves had massed near the edge of the trees when Welden returned to them, but the nervous glances they sent towards the forces clashing in the distance seemed to indicate second thoughts.

Enough remained energised by their earlier victory to get them moving, though, following the more belligerent so that they at least had the numbers to face whatever came next. How long they'd hold in combat he couldn't tell, and he kept the more eager to a fast walk rather than a run, so they stayed together and didn't wear themselves out before reaching the fight.

He needed to arrive when the enemy force had fully committed themselves, hopefully flanking them. The land between them was clear, though, so there wouldn't be much of an element of surprise, and it seemed likely he'd at least encounter some resistance from the Stoneweavers, hoping to scare the slaves back to their caves. He'd have to deal with those, before they could get anywhere near.

Their march had reached the road cutting through the middle of the fields when he spotted Andira's forces attacking the engaged forces from the right. He pushed the slaves into quickening their pace, sure all but the weakest should make the rest of the charge before running out of breath. The more eager started screaming as they kept picking up the pace, and he didn't bother reining them in.

A couple of Stoneguards moved towards them, one in the air and the other charging wearing stone armour.

Taking to the air, Welden charged the flying one, who tried to dodge as he realised his attacker wouldn't stop. It didn't help, as Welden slammed into him, the both of them spinning out of control.

By the time Welden recovered, he found the flyer continuing his charge towards the slaves, and knew he wouldn't catch up before the Stoneguard reached them. He charged the running one instead, spotting his dett just under the thin armour's armpit.

Cutting his speed at the last moment to match that of the runner, he darted his hand under, not wanting it crushed under the pumping arm, and said "luxthor". The Stoneguard stopped dead in the now immobile armour, and Welden shifted his momentum straight up, but caught his back and leg against the stone before he could slow enough.

Darting after the flyer, he found the man down among the slaves now, having slowed their momentum in the middle, but the edges had run past, even the most timid not wanting to be left behind with him, and now he glanced around for the next target to try discouraging them. Catching of Welden, and his immobilised colleague, he quickly took off, trying to fly around him and back to the main battle.

Keeping an eye on his path, Welden let him go, keeping up with the leading edge of the slaves as they fell on the flank of the wavering guards. With the massed enemies closing on three sides now, they broke. Only the Stoneguards, previously staying mainly in reserve, prevented it being a slaughter. Four of them flew to the ground in the path of the retreat, summoning avatars from the ground. Mostly soil, with some loose gravel, they wouldn't last as long, or cause as much damage, as stone ones, but they'd delay pursuit long enough for the guards to reform further back.

Darting forward, he landed near the retreating Stoneguards, summoning his own earth avatar to attack theirs. The remaining Stoneweaver among the Melmyrn group did the same on the far side, although Welden caught the man's suspicious glance. But for the moment they worked together to dispose of the problem, and the combined army soon flowed around the edges of the avatars. Andira's force seemed to listen to her orders to proceed in an orderly fashion, but Thortus' lot were as undisciplined as the slaves. Fortunately they had the numbers and the morale to overcome most obstacles.

But the battle out here was secondary, and he couldn't afford to waste any more time, or energy. If he lost the true fight, the outcome of this one wouldn't matter. He'd given the slaves the chance to fight for their freedom, so now he'd have to let them get on with it.

Glancing around, he quickly located Andira, and flew towards her. "Do you have it?"

She turned from issuing orders. Her clothes were bloodied, but from the way she moved none of it seemed to be hers. "He wouldn't give it over, and he flew off to find Thortus." She gestured towards Narvon's keep.

"I'll get it off him." He turned to leave, but she caught his arm.

"I can get him to give it over without a fight." She met his eyes with a confident gaze.

Trusting her, but less certain how flexible the boy would be, Welden decided he couldn't afford another unnecessary fight, so reluctantly nodded. "Come on." Taking out the azurien, he let his air avatar disperse so he could focus all his attention on making them invisible.

The battle had resumed by the time they reached the front line, with Narvon's men arrayed on the slope leading up to his keep. Their position covered their flanks, and didn't allow much access through for enemy troops, but a couple of figures they couldn't see slipped by without too much trouble.

Seeing the Stoneguards hovering nearby concerned Welden, and he didn't imagine they'd stay out long now the battle had reached this point, so they obviously had plans. He couldn't concern himself with that, though.

They made it into the keep with no problem, finding it unnervingly quiet compared to the noise outside.

Dismissing the azurien, he hastily recalled his air avatar.

"It'd be better if I found him without you," Andira said.

He nodded. "I'll be on the top floor, towards the far left corner. Tell the boy not to bother trying to animate the stones within the keep, they're protected." With another nod, he moved towards the back stairs, letting her take the main set.