Stoneweaver - Chapter 21

Almost leaping from the top step, Danath joined the others on the roof of the Hall, staring at the vista opening up before them.

An island, just beyond the Dusky Reef, shimmering into sight piece by piece, and the air to either side of the gap shimmering increasingly as the gap widened. Could he make out a figure flying around near the opening edge of the gap? Welden?

The stunned silence broke as Thortus spun from the sight. "Order the helmsmen to slow, and take us nearer that... island." Someone rushed away behind him, and everyone started looking at Thortus, expecting orders. "Where's that...?" He stopped as he spotted Kulth, and stormed over to him.

The roof began to clear around them, everyone remembering a task, only Elgren and Greck staying, moving up behind Thortus. Danath joined them, still sending the occasional glance towards the widening stretch of land.

"What do you know about that?" Thortus said, his temper threatening to burst out his eyes.

Kulth, his face stiffer than Danath had seen it, took a moment before responding. "It is no concern of..."

"...mine?" Thortus said, his tone holding an edge of cold menace his temper couldn't approach. "No concern of mine, is that what you were about to say? Because I think keeping secret that you have that large a patch of ground, and that's just from what we can see at the moment, that seems to me to be something friends wouldn't keep from each other. Lord Narvon is my friend isn't he?"

"Lord Narvon values your allegiance of course, but this land, while larger than other islands, is not so large that it could support a sizable population, and while it allows access to our largest mining operation..."

"I'm sure Lord Narvon can explain all this himself when we meet shortly."

Stiffening, Kulth, stumbled for what to say, finally settling on. "I should check first that he's in residence, and not out..."

"Yes, yes," Thortus agreed as he led the way down the stairs. "You can send someone as soon as we reach your docks, and then you can give us the tour of your 'little' island."

His tone holding little room for negotiation, Kulth finally gave a curt nod. "Then I'll go and prepare my ship to take us..."

"And my entourage," Thortus said.

"...and your entourage. I'll await your pleasure at the docks." With a stiff nod, he departed as Thortus led the rest of them into the meeting room.

"This is a mistake." Elgren waited until the door closed, but not until they sat.

Thortus sank into his chair with a thoughtful look. "I don't like being kept in the dark." His tone retained its anger, although slightly blunted.

"And do you like being taken hostage by his soldiers?"

"They can't afford to take us prisoner. How many soldiers do you think he has? How many on this, since his mined stuff can't all be coming from one location? He's right the amount he can grow there won't support a large number, and he also needs to feed the slaves. We've got hundreds among all the gangs working for us, and we can press more bodies into service if we need them. No he'll have to realise we have the greater numbers. That's why he kept it hidden, because he doesn't have the numbers to properly defend it."

"I'd be more concerned about how he kept it hidden," Elgren said. "And what other tricks he has."

Thortus allowed him a faint nod. "It's a point, but again, if he has significant power, why hide?"

"I'm just suggesting we may want to take this slow, try and do some reconnaissance. Since I can now use the zelxus to fly, I could go and have a look."

So it had been the zelxus. Danath wondered why that hadn't been shared with him.

"No," Thortus said. "They're currently dealing with one flying intruder, so they'd probably attack you on sight, which would initiate hostilities anyway. And I understand the benefit of caution, but that also allows Narvon the chance to prepare. If we go over now, while his defences are focussed on Welden, his distraction could work to our advantage, better than meeting on equal terms."

He didn't appear convinced of the strategy's merits, but Elgren gave a reluctant nod of acquiescence.

"Good," Thortus said. "Then get a dozen of our best soldiers. Hand out the swords from the armoury. And make sure they're dressed presentably."

"Only a dozen?" Elgren said.

"They're an escort, not an army. Greck, call in all the gangs, and muster as many able-bodied men as you can, but try and keep it hidden from Narvon's men in the city. Put watchers on all of them you know about until I signal you to attack."

"While we're on the island!?" Elgren said.

"If necessary. I'd rather wait till I'm back, but I want them prepared in case we have trouble. Can you think of a way to send a message if necessary?"

Elgren frowned. "The zelxus may allow me to send a messenger. I'll try a test before we leave. I'll have it travel to the Hall steps. If it arrives without a message attached, attack. We'd better leave a Stoneweaver behind to dismiss it."

Thortus' gaze drifted to Danath, and he was sure he saw suspicion there. More than before. He couldn't believe the rumours, could he? But he took his time before speaking.

"Danath, you stay here with Farnal and Roak, Lorkell and Baroden can accompany us."

"You don't want all of them with us for security?" Elgren said.

"Better to have some here to lead the attack. With three of you there I should be relatively safe, and it means our main combat assets aren't all in one convenient target."

So was it purely strategic? Danath could see a kind of sense to having the best fighter lead the way for the army, and he supposed they could fly on ahead of the main force, but wouldn't Thortus be more concerned with his own safety?

"Right, get started then," Thortus growled as he rose. An enigmatic glance Danath's way did little to ease his concerns.

Following them from the room, although he had little to do at the moment, Danath couldn't help running through his options, which seemed limited. He could take advantage of the distraction to leave Melmyrn. Even considering it felt wrong, since he'd spent his life here, but he wouldn't find another employer in the city. Maybe the boss of another city would hire him, but would they be suspicious of why he'd left, and if they heard the suspicions he'd been trying to overthrow Thortus, they'd be less than trusting of him. He could sail to one of the smaller settlements, those which remained, anyway. But would they have need of a champion? And, more importantly, would they be able to support the lifestyle he'd gotten used to?

Maybe Narvon would be recruiting. Although until he knew how this would play out, he had no way of finding out. No, at the moment he didn't seem to have many options other than to let things play out.