Stoneweaver - Chapter 31

The roar of the charging troops stretched over the city, serving also as a call to the resistance to begin. Most would hold off until the last of the troops had left the city, but they'd already be moving into position. The force Andira would lead should be moving towards the front of the city even now, and she trusted Boryan to keep them out of sight until she arrived. She didn't want them getting drafted.

But she had to make a stop beforehand, with a half-dozen of the more belligerent members of the underground backing her up.

The Hall stood oddly silent, its front doors shut, with no signs of habitation. It still felt dangerous to approach it so brazenly, especially with many of Thortus' men probably still on the city, but they had little time, and she'd committed herself to this course of action when she sailed Welden away.

The door opened easily enough, and nobody came to stop them. The path she knew only from directions provided by a cleaner, but Andira strode up the stairs without hesitation, turning as she'd been directed, her entourage close behind.

Her fingers drummed on the hilt of her short blade, expecting trouble at any moment, a part of her wanting to find it. But none presented itself, and she saw no one until barging into the room containing Thortus' collection of gemstones.

The thugs had their blades drawn as the door opened, obviously having heard the approach, but didn't appear inclined to charge, and eyed the men behind her nervously.

She stood near the doorway, letting a couple of her men move alongside, and met the eyes of each guard in turn, but didn't draw her weapon. "If you want to live, hand over your weapons?" Her cold tone yanked their attention from her troops, and she could see the indecision in their eyes.

They knew there'd be no reinforcements coming for them, but they also knew what Thortus would do to them on his return. She let them consider their options, waiting until one glanced questioningly at the others.

"You have moments to decide, do you live with the possibility Thortus may return, and it's only a possibility, or do we kill you now. Your choice is of little interest to me, except as it runs the risk of getting your blood on my clothes. So, five, four, three, tw..."

First one, then the other two in quick succession, discarded their swords. The men accompanying her moved forward.

"Take them prisoner, but don't harm them," she said. This had to be done with as little blood as possible. This had to be different from the way changes of governance usually went.

Her men seemed perturbed at the order, but they obeyed. She'd be taking them with her anyway, so they should get their fill on the island.

Moving quickly among the cabinets, she searched for the gem Welden needed, a jederine. The draw claiming to hold it proved easy enough to find, but lay empty.

Had Thortus taken it with him? Who else would have access to the place?

"Hold on," she called as her men escorted the guards out the door. "Who took the gem from this draw?"

They glanced back, but the rearmost looked at the other, and they seemed reticent to reveal anything. The man holding the rearmost guard smacked him on the head, and turned him back to face her.

"Who took the gem from this draw?" she repeated with a slow threat.

Licking his lips, the man glanced between her and the drawer, before letting his head slump. "Danath took some gemstones out not long ago. I didn't see which, but it might've been him." His escort shook him, and he glared at the man. "I don't know if he took that one, but he's the only one I've seen take any since I've been on duty."

"Okay." Andira nodded at the men to take them out, reluctantly following since there seemed little she could do here.

Why had Danath taken it? Did he know Welden wanted it? Welden had assured her few people knew its use, and she doubted Danath would be among them. But then could she really be sure whose side he'd be on.