Stoneweaver - Chapter 28

Despair had begun to settle over Danath, as he sat on the steps outside the Hall, weighing his unsavoury options, and finding that none amounted to much. He may have to face the possibility that his easy life was behind him. He had some money stashed away, but as a Stonefighter he'd have a hard time finding somewhere else. But if he kept his Stoneweaving talents hidden, then moving somewhere new might be an option. Not a particularly interesting one, but still...

His thoughts drifted away as Greck came into view, his face bleak. He came to where Danath, Farnal, and Roak sat waiting. "The dock won't be easy to take. We sent one of the ships around to have a look, and the way in looks difficult to manoeuvre. And inside they've got a wall blocking access to the rest of the island, but we can't get a good enough picture to tell how easy it'll be to get through, or how many we're likely to lose getting through it."

"You round up enough men to go when the word comes?" Farnal asked.

"Yeah. All the gangs, bar a few individual stragglers, are ready, and we've enlisted nearly a couple of hundred workers. They're not that well armed, but they've got enough to do the job. Especially with our guys behind 'em."

"What're the slopes like, away from the dock?" Danath asked.

"Fairly sheer. You could probably climb them, although it looks like there's a fair bit of stone under that grass, but a few men at the top, with stuff to roll down at you, could hold off a dozen each. Besides which, you wouldn't get a ship in close enough."

The discussion trailed away as Greck moved to sit nearby, all of them waiting for the signal now. They didn't have long to wait, as a flutter of invisible wings set a flutter of tension among them as they watched the clear gem appear to float to the ground.

As no one else seemed inclined to move, Danath stood and walked over to the animation, reaching down to touch the gemstone, dismissing it. He turned to look at them, and they all rose reluctantly.

Greck started to walk away. "I'll go give the signal to attack."

"Not yet," Danath said.

The others looked askance at him.

"Send someone to get them ready, but come with me first." With that he turned and strode into the Hall, Farnal and Roak following, and Greck catching up to them soon enough.

He didn't want to be part of this. He fought one on one, not in a mass melee. They could be a lot more dangerous, with all the lethal weapons being swung wildly around, and you could as easily be harmed by your own allies. But if he had to go in, then they could at least try and do it the smart way.

The doors to the collection opened easily enough, and the three guards still there tensed.

"I thought Thorus said all our troops were to join the invasion?"

"I didn't think a few to protect the collection would make much difference," Greck said.

Offering a glance which said it'd be on his head either way, Danath turned away. The guards didn't seem certain whether they should be letting him in, but weren't about to challenge three Stonefighters.

The room contained three long cabinets, with a number of drawers, each with writing on its face. They held a fortune in gemstones, some of which were of known use in Stoneweaving, and others which may be of use if the word and substance were known.

Finding the drawer he wanted, he opened it and withdrew the clear gem within. It looked the same as the one he'd taken from the 'bird', but he'd need to make sure.

"Kulthor." He felt the air around him, and after a moment's concentration levitated himself a foot off the ground. Lowering himself, he took another one for his pouch, then handed a few apiece to Farnal and Roak.

Moving on, he opened another draw, and withdrew as many detts as he could, handing most to Farnal.

"We'll fly over to the wall a bit down from the dock. Greck, get the helmsmen to bring the city in as close to her as they can get, the front pier towards where we land. Roak and I'll handle their troops, Farnal, animate as much stone as you can and make a bridge out to meet the pier. If the defences dry up we'll help. Any ojections?"

None came, and after they'd taken all the detts they could carry, they moved out.

Danath hesitated, they quickly located another draw. It may not be of any use, but it'd probably be safer with him than with three lone guards who'd soon be without any support in the city.