Chapter Twenty-Eight

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

"No!" The word resounded clearly through the light, early morning fog. The private section of the airport was silent, and I was grinning as I dragged Jennie towards the plane.

Only minutes prior, we had taken Riley to school. Jennie had ultimately decided to allow him to go on that trip, but I could see that she was not at all comfortable with the decision and that the only reason why she had made it was because she had realized how much Riley actually wanted it. Perhaps our talk had a certain influence, but I was not naïve enough to think I had made her change her mind or I had made her consider the idea. But this was not about her trying to prove me anything—this was about her trying to do the best for our child.

That was how I had figured that, just as Riley deserved to have a weekend with his friends, his NINI deserved a couple of days of peace and quiet, as well. But more than that, I knew she would work herself into a ball of nerves if I didn't at least attempt to distract her.

Though, truth to be told, I was surprised by how much resistance she could put up in her heels.

"This is insane!" I heard her exclaim. "We're not children anymore! What if something happens to Riley and I'm not there?"

Giving a hard tug on her hand once we had reached the airplane, I sent her stumbling forward. "Riley will be fine." I assured her. "Every lucky charm you keep in your body surely do the thing, and of course Ms. Wendy too."

"I—" The stubbornness in her feline eyes hadn't quelled the slightest bit, so I didn't allow her to finish her sentence.

"Come on~. Pretty Please~...?" I encouraged, gesturing towards the plane.

Jennie fatally glared and crossed her arms over her chest. "No. I'm not getting on that plane. I'm not going anywhere with you. I'm going home. And if you continue to annoy me, I'm going to my apartment."

Jennie made a move to leave then, but I grabbed her upper arm and held her in place with no effort at all. Boxing does pay off.

"What do you have to lose?" I asked in an almost exasperated tone. Almost, but not quite, because I had expected her reaction, though.