Chapter Thirteen

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

The first time I put my key to use was one evening, when the sun was lowering into the sky, and the scent of wet pavement in the air from the earlier rain.

I had come to take Riley for a walk, but as I opened the door, I was greeted by silence. Upon advancing further into the apartment, I realized why that was. Jennie was asleep on the couch, with Riley nestled up in the crook of her neck, their khaki hair was mingling together. I smiled.

Riley rose upon feeling my presence, peering at me with curious, half-lidded eyes that widened in excitement as realization sunk in. Signaling him to remain silent, I lifted him effortlessly in his arms so as not to wake up his NINI. Despite shifting slightly and releasing a soft sigh at our movements, the woman continued to sleep, unperturbed.  The same old Jennie when she sleeps.

"She's tired." Riley whispered helpfully. "Cause she had a SOLO project to work on last night."

My expression softened at the explanation. "I see." I murmured. "Can you go grab a blanket for her? In silence."

The handsome boy nodded eagerly, and as soon as I set him on his feet, he tore off in the direction of the stairs, only to return a mere minute later with a pink, fleece blanket.

"Go find a jacket." I suggested, taking the offering. "I'll take you out, as promised."

With another nod, Riley disappeared once again, leaving us alone.

I unfolded the blanket and gently laid it over the sleeping brunette, before crouching down beside the couch. Now that my son had pointed it out, I could clearly see the tiredness etched in her delicate Korean features. There were faint dark circles underneath her catlike eyes, and the fact that she had not sensed my presence spoke volumes.

While I was lost amidst my thoughts, Jennie shifted again, causing a lock of khaki hair to slide over her small face. It was practically a no-brainer move when I reached out to return it to its place.