Chapter Twenty-Three

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

Lisa pulled at the hem of her lady-suit as she walked at a brisk pace down the hallway, glancing behind her to make sure no one had followed her.

Lisa hated suits. She absolutely loathed them, if it was even possible for Lisa Manoban to loathe something. They were suffocating, and—

The sound of footsteps reached her ears, heels clicking on the wooden, carpeted floors, and Lisa immediately rounded a corner, pressing her back against the wall and holding her breath as she waited for the intruders to move away.

One of them was her mother, Lisa noted as three elegantly dressed women walked past her in a cloud of chatter and expensive perfume, praying that none of them would turn around and spot her trying to meld herself to the wall behind her.

Yes, Lisa concluded; her mother, Chaeyoungie~, and Jisoo-unnie~ were the ones responsible for the way her heart was currently trying to burst out of her chest.

Waiting until they were out of sight, Lisa stuck her head back into the main corridor and peeked in the direction they had headed in, before breathing out, relieved. She pulled at the hem of her suit again and stared back down the long hallway.

Lisa hoped, with every fiber of her being, that Irene had left before them.

Thirty seconds later, Lisa was standing in front of a large set of wooden double doors, staring up at them apprehensively.

For a long moment, she hesitated. Then she groaned, pulled at the hem of her suit over again, and turned the doorknob without bothering to knock.

Lisa stepped inside, looked up, and promptly forgot how to breathe.

There she was, standing at the other end of the room, next to the window. Her arms were crossed over her chest and her catlike eyes were wide, presumably at the unexpected sight of the Thai.