Chapter Three

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

"Riley~." I called as I descended down the stairs.

The sound of my heels clicking against the hardwood floors alerted him of my slackened approaching presence long before my voice did. When I arrived at the foot of the stairs, I saw him nestled on the couch, with one of my large, architectural books on his lap.

I smiled at the cute and smart looking scene.

"What is you doing~?" I questioned cutely enough, amused, as I walked towards him.

He looked up to me with a sheepish grin on his face.

"Looking at the pictures." He answered.

I just proudly laughed.

"I imagined." I responded. "Are you hungry?"

He nodded.

"How does a take-out sound?" I suggested.

Riley grinned while gesturing his brows up and down, throwing me a knowing look, and I just rolled my eyes.

"Oh, shut up." I admonished, already moving to the kitchen area.

"What do you like?" I asked as I picked up the phone with one hand, the other holding a colorful brochure.

I expected a firm and excited answer. But what I received, however, was an uncertain voice calling out my name.

"Mom~... Who is this?" He curiously asked.

I unexpectedly frowned as I turned around to face him.

"Hmmm? What are you talking about?" I asked, confused.

In response, Riley raised an old, rumpled photograph into the air; his dark shaded eyes watched me with innocent curiosity.

My eyes immediately softened at the sight of him, and a quiet sigh escaped my lips as I slowly, almost hesitantly, started to make my way towards him. Taking a seat on the couch, I pulled the picture out of his grasp and moved the heavy book onto the table, beckoning him to approach me.