Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten (Tristian's POV)

"So, you're going to live at Rex's cottage?"

Ace sounded annoyed by this. I was a little irritated with the fact that he found that annoying. What was the word for people like that? Oh yea.

Hypocritical.

"Yea," I answered drolly, taking a big gulp of hot chocolate before digging my fork into my pancakes, "Ain't no law that says I gotta get a new apartment right off the bat. 'Case you hadn't noticed neither, I ain't got the money for that sorta stuff. I'm barely makin' in through college and the office work. Rex is being hospitable by lettin' me stay." I wiped the syrup on my lips with a napkin before tossing it on the table as Rex just sighed, rubbing his temples as if he wasn't shocked with Ace's reaction. Vic didn't seem shocked either, but he was joining Rex and I in our pit of irritation.

"You could stay with us," Ace insisted, his fork sliding across his plate and making it screech obnoxiously so I winced, "And the insurance should cover fires anyway, so--"

"How come you're allowed to be a little gay and I ain't?" I demanded in frustration, smacking my fork on the table in exasperation, ignoring the stares we got from other diners. Vic covered his face in embarrassment while Rex just patted his hand reassuringly. However, that didn't stop Ace as he sputtered.

"I-It's not whether you're gay or not! Besides, you just met! You can't possibly want to live with him. Rex is too busy. Whether that's working or some of his sick hobbies that you'll be forced to participate in, I don't know. I do know that you can't live with him forever." Ace snapped, sounding just like the disgruntled father he was. He couldn't nag at his sons because they were too busy with their boyfriends and since I was young and parent-less, he'd take it upon himself to nag my ear off. I scowled, folding my arms over my chest.

"Oh, so what? Maybe I got sick hobbies of my own." I responded snarkily. Ace's cheeks pinkened and he looked like he was searching for something to say, but Vic held his hand up for the tirade to dissipate.

"Enough, Ace. Tristian's old enough to make his own decisions. Besides, I can't think of anyone better to take care of Tristian than Rex." He added, smiling at Rex, who beamed proudly. I blushed lightly and avoided their telepathic conversation to see Ace glaring at me. I stiffened, then stuck my tongue out at him, making Ace throw his hands up in exasperation.

We didn't talk for the rest of breakfast. We finally got up and left so Rex and I could do some errands before heading back to his cottage.

"He don't gotta be such a dick," I grumbled as we headed out to the truck, my hand buried in Rex's pocket, clasped around his hand, "I had no problem when he got together with Vic. Why's he gotta get in the way of me bein' with you? He acts like you're gonna do somethin' awful. No offense, but you already had sex with me. What worse could there be?" Rex didn't answer at first, making me blink and look up at him. He had a thoughtful expression on his face, making me blush and elbow him in the ribs, causing him to laugh out loud.

"I'm just kidding! It's all right, Tristian. Ace is just doing what he was born to do. Worry about his friends and family. And Ace considers you both. I'm not offended or anything. In fact, I expected it." He added with a shrug as we got in his truck, starting up the heater. I shivered in the passenger seat and Rex cranked the heat up as we pulled out.

"He still doesn't have to act like a douche."

"Fathers will be fathers."

"Guess so... Well, anyway, where we goin'? By errands, I figured you was gonna grab stuff for yer dog." I admitted with a shrug as headed down the road, but Rex shook his head as he smiled confidently, scanning the buildings for a moment before turning onto Romance Rd. toward the Super Mall.