Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Rex)

"No!"

Tristian lunged forward, but I caught him around the waist before he could go sprinting toward the building as cop cars arrived to hold people back. Flames licked from the windows, tossing out curtains as another explosion went off near the first floor. Tristian writhed and fought against my grip.

"Nooo! My parents!" His voice had risen to a scream of panic, my heart throbbing in my chest as I managed to keep Tristian away from the road as another fire engine shot by and skidded to a halt.

"Tristian--"

"Noo! My parents! All their stuff!" Tristian wailed, tears streaking down his face as he gasped for breath, trying to rip away from me. I winced in pain, knowing that I couldn't let Tristian go in there. The fire was bigger now, spreading to the third floor, engulfing it in shrieking hellish flames that shot towards the dark sky like red paint.

"Sir, we need you both to step back." An officer ordered as he approached with a walkie in hand that was shouting orders. Tristian dug his nails into my hands, but I kept my grip on him, trying to pull him back.

"Y-You have to go in there," Tristian managed, his voice breaking as he gasped for breath, "My stuff! All their things!" The cop looked at him, confused as he tipped his hat back.

"Sir, everything from the first floor up is destroyed. I'm sorry." He added when he seemed to realize what was happening. I held onto Tristian tightly as he stared at the flames in agony, his salty tears running down his face as it seemed to sink in.

There was no way to retrieve his parents' things. Judging from the flames, the officer was right. Everything was gone.

"Tristian, come on." I urged gently. He didn't move for a while. He still seemed to be trying to process everything in his head before he choked on a sob and sank to his knees. I winced and went down with him, not touching him now as he sobbed. My heart ached and my temples throbbed as I watched Tristian cry, his nails digging into the cracks of the pavement, his shoulders trembling.

I looked up at the officer, who seemed just as heartbroken as he took a small step back.

"I'm sorry," He repeated gently, "Unfortunately, there is no way to get in the apartment now. We'll see what can be recovered once we put the fire out."

"Do they know how it started?" I demanded, glancing at Tristian, who was too busy crying his heart out to care about anything else. The officer gave me a grim expression, his hands on his hips.

"We're not sure just yet. We'll know after we send our investigators in. I think it's best that anyone who's lived in the apartment find a hotel tonight. The headquarters will personally pay for the stays." He added, seeming to hope it would help, but I shook my head.

"I'll take him with me." I answered. The officer nodded, pausing to look at Tristian a while longer in pain before glancing at me.

"Again, I'm very sorry." He said quietly. I nodded and let him get back to pushing the crowds back, announcing the situation. I risked touching Tristian's shoulder, but he didn't get angry or anything, just sniffled and coughed, his breath coming in hot clouds.

"Tristian?" I asked softly. Tristian didn't answer, just leaned back on his knees, sniffing as another wave of tears hit him and he choked on a sob.

"All their stuff w-was in my c-closet," He choked, pressing his fingertips to his forehead, "Everything. T-Their wedding rings, their clothes, our photos." He whimpered and covered his mouth, shrinking into himself. This time, I put my arms around him tightly and let him sink against me, sobbing and wailing. I cradled him close as he cried out this wave of tears before lapsing into a sniffling silence.