The First Clues

As we entered a forest, a thought entered my head. I may not have thought this through. Leading 5 people to, I don't even know, with monsters, on a HORSE? I couldn't even do anything! What was I thinking? I couldn't do this! I was gonna die! Too much responsibility!

"Uh, Avery, you alright? You keep mumbling. Also you are kinda pale." Zayn asked.

Lexi smiled. "Avery, it's okay, I always get nervous before quests. I bet right now you're thinking 'I can't do this! I'm gonna die! Too much responsibility!' but just remember we've got your back."

I looked down at them, saw them smiling at me, and said "You know, Lexi, I think your a mind reader. Oh and thanks."

Alice, for the first time that I knew of, laughed. "Lexi has been called a lot of things, but not mind reader."

"She's definitely not smart enough." Annalisa remarked.

"Hey!" Lexi said "What's that supposed to mean?"

We all laughed, except for Lexi, who stood there frowning.

All of a sudden Harper the Horse stopped and neighed, getting our attention. I looked around and didn't see anything, so I dismounted to look around. I walked around looking at the trees and listening to the crackle of leaves and branches beneath my feet. Suddenly, I noticed the sound stopped. I looked at the ground and saw that it had been dug out and re put there, as if someone buried something. I knelt to the ground and started digging. It seemed pretty deep. I kept digging until a hit something hard. I brushed it off and saw it was a tiny wooden box. I looked and saw it needed a key, which I probably needed to dig up.

"A little help here?" I asked my fellow quest members.

Annalisa smirked. "I thought you'd never ask."

Soon the whole team was digging. Then at the same time Alice, Zayn and Lexi shouted "I found something!" I knee-walked over to Alice, who found a silver box, larger then mine. It also needed a key. I went over to Zayn who found a gold box, biggest of the three, also having a lock.

Then Annalisa said "I found 2 keys." I went over there to see a gold key and silver key.

"Welp," I said "we can only assume." I took the gold and silver keys and the gold and silver boxes. First, I did the gold key, and in the gold box was 2 parts of a paper. Before reading it I decided to open the silver box. Inside it was 2 more pieces and 4 pieces of tape. I did as I assumed and taped the paper together, and then read it. I groaned.

"What is it? A riddle? That doesn't even ryhme?" Lexi asked.

I looked at her with my eyes wide open and said with a gasp "You are a mind reader!"

"Not the time Avery, not the time." Zayn scolded.

"Well?" Annalisa asked "Are you gonna tell us what it says?"

"Yeah yeah, sure. It says:

I will take away something important, but replace it with clues. The first is that you are trying to get an item that is one of a kind, and to get it will be extremely difficult to get. The second clue is that there is a song that tells you what the item is. You will need to know all about the song to realize the object. The last clue is: the next set of clues, other information and a very helpful item will be in the most unkown part of the state nicknamed Little America. That's all it says."

There was silence until Lexi spoke up. "My cousin lives in Maryland, and she loves telling me all about it because it is pretty unknown. She said it is nicknamed Little America because it has part of the Appalachian Mountains, a beach/city area, and farmland. She said there are 3 areas: The Appalachian Mountains, The Atlantic Coastal Plains, and Piedmont Plateau, and the third is the least known."

"I guess we are going to Maryland then. By the way, what do you think they meant about 'take away something important'? That doesn't sound good."

"I don't know." I admitted "but we can talk about it on the ride." I turned around.

"Well, I think I know what he meant." Annalisa said.

I went over to Harpers trophy picked it up, and saw a note on the bottom.

"This note says 'It will not work until you complete the quest."

I placed the trophy down, and sure enough, it didn't work.

"Well," Alice spoke "I guess we're walking."

******************** *****************END*OF*CHAPTER*******************************************************

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 1K READS! I may have spoken about it, but I didn't expect that to actually happen! Thank you to everyone who reads this story, I am happy to be able to write for you, even if I am a terrible writer! I do use the mobile version, so it is harder to write. I recently got a SHARKK keyboard for iPad mini (which is what I write on) so it makes it much easier to write so updates can come a bit faster. My school starts in 1 WEEK (help) so that is a problem because that takes up a lot of time +2 sports + 3 other activities = a hard time updating. This is NOT a pre-written story so I can not just update when I have wifi. Sorry this chapter is bad I wanted to give something ti celebrate 1K reads.

Thanks again.

I am still trying to figure this story out myself.

Can we aim for like, 1 vote by december? Sorry for asking though.

VOMMAN

D.F.T.B.A.

Dog1125a