Chapter 5

"What’s wrong with you?" Erica asked, snapping in front of my face. "Are you even listening to a word I’m saying?" 

"Oh, what?" I shook my head, looking up to her eyes. "What happened?" 

"My god, Cara. I’ve told the story like 3 times, already. What’s the matter?" I hadn’t told her what happened 2 nights ago with Niall and I, and how we kissed. I didn’t even tell her we were going on a date. I didn’t want her to get the impression that I liked him, because I didn’t. It wasn’t misleading to him, because he slept with tons of girls, and none of them ever meant anything to him. "Are you alright?" 

"Yeah." I nodded, laughing. "Just thinking." 

"About what?" Erica’s eyebrows furrowed as she looked at my hands, fiddling with my phone. "Who are you texting?" Her eyes grew with curiosity. 

"No one." I shrugged, smiling down at my phone. I knew Erica could tell I was lying, and she was the only one who could ever tell. 

"Cara!" She snatched my phone from my hand, and looked down at it. "Oh my god." Her hand covered over her mouth. "You text Niall!?" 

"Occasionally." 

"Occasionally?" She scoffed, scrolling upwards. "You guys never stop talking." And that was entirely true. I usually woke up with a ‘good morning’ text, and fell asleep texting him, too. I didn’t necessarilywant him, that much, but he was nice to talk to… most of the time. Sometimes, it got a bit out of hand, and he’d say inappropriate things to me, but I liked it. To be extremely honest, I really liked it. I’ve never had a guy that was like that towards me, and it was nice. Someone who could give you that feeling, even if you knew it wasn’t because he actually liked you. “My god, you guys went on a date!?” I hadn’t realized how far up she had scrolled through our conversation.

"Yeah." I nodded. "It wasn’t a big deal." 

"Cara!" Erica exclaimed, for the second time. "What happened? Tell me everything!" 

"Nothing important, honestly." I found myself smirking as I replayed our kiss. "It was nothing." 

"You’re not telling me something." She rolled her eyes. "You can not lie to me. It’s impossible.” 

"Fine." I gave in, sighing, as I relaxed on the headboard of my bed. "We kissed." 

"That’s it?" Her jaw dropped. Although, it didn’t drop in amazement, more disappointed. "All you guys did was kiss? At least tell me you guys made out." 

"We made out."

"That’s more like it. What was it like? Nice?" 

"I don’t know. I’ve never made out with him." I laughed. 

"But you just said-" Erica laughed with me. "Ha ha, very funny." She said sarcastically. 

"We just kissed." I confirmed. 

"I can’t believe it." 

"Erica, I told you, I won’t-" 

"No." She cut me off, furrowing her eyebrows. "I don’t think Niall’s ever been on a date where they’ve only kissed, and simply kissed, not anything sexual. It’s odd." 

"Oh." I cocked my eyebrow. "Well, I would’ve slapped him again if he touched me, so." 

"You should’ve let him." 

"No!" I objected. 

"You have no idea, Cara. He’s amazing." 

"Ew, stop." I shook my head, trying to get the image out of my mind. My best friend, with Niall? It just didn’t seem right, especially now that I was hanging out with him a lot more often. "Listen, I have to get ready, so-"